Quilts And Gowns In Virginia

Boyf and I spent this past weekend in Virginia celebrating our engagement with my parents. When we got to my parent’s house, we were greeted with warm smiles and hugs and wine and balloons! My mom picked out this wine because of the label with the hand and the kiss – she said it reminded her of the pictures I had sent her of my hand and my new ring!

va trip 068 va trip 069

I also came home to a big package surprise! My mom and I had ordered 2 quilts from The Quilt Loft a while back, and they were here waiting for me when I got home this weekend! Yay! I had a Queen size quilt (42 patches) made up of all my shirts from my soccer tournaments over the years. I used to play travel soccer. My team won the State Championships most years. We even won the Regional’s and came in second at the National competition in Disney World, but that’s a story for another day!

va trip 055

I love my new soccer quilt!

va trip 056

It’s so beautiful and comfortable! I put together all the shirts I wanted on the quilt, numbered them and put them in the order I wanted them in. I also put notes on some shirts to include the front and the back. It turned out amazing! va trip 057

I also got another Full size quilt (30 patches) made out of my sorority shirts. I got so many shirts in college, it’s nice to have them all on a quilt that I can remember all the fabulous times!

DELTA DELTA DELTA!! Woop Woop!

va trip 058

I am so excited about these quilts!

va trip 059

I will have these quilts FOREVER!  va trip 060

Check out The Quilt Loft! They do all sorts of fun stuff like this. The quality is amazing and for what I got, the price was pretty good too!va trip 061

I also went home this weekend to try on my mom’s wedding gown. I wanted to potentially wear my mom’s dress on my big day! I was going to have the sleeves altered a bit, but I thought it would have been amazing to wear her dress.

Sadly, when my mom and I took the dress out of the box, even though she had paid good money to have the dress cleaned and preserved, they did not do a good job. The dress was all discolored and yellow with weird stains. I tried it on, and it fit, but there is nothing that can be done with that kind of color damage. Tear.

My mom tried it on too for shits and giggles! She still looked rocking in it! Work it mom!

va trip 062 va trip 063

Check out some of the discoloration. Tear. Keep in mind this dress was ‘preserved’ 31 years ago.

Double tear. I loved the neckline and subtle detail.

va trip 064

Oh well. I guess it wasn’t meant to be. How cool would it have been to wear my mom’s dress?!? I would have also loved not to deal with finding ‘the perfect dress,’ but I guess now I better start looking at what I like!

va trip 065

While we were trying on dresses, Jackson got himself stuck in the tub! Silly puppy! He can get himself in the tub but not out of it!

va trip 066

Stay tuned for another fabulous giveaway!!

• Reply D10 October 12, 2009 at 7:21 am

The quilts are awesome! Your mom's dress was really pretty, sorry to hear it didn't preserve well.

• Reply The Big Blue Dog October 12, 2009 at 8:10 am

I was married in June and I wore my moms dress too!! (after some alterations)!! Did she take it to a preservationist?!? I think it's so special to wear your moms! Maybe you can take some of that beautiful lace for your veil or a wrap for the bouquet? 🙂

• Reply Megan @ Megzz Wins At Life October 12, 2009 at 10:15 am

awww soo cute!! The quilt looks soo pretty!! I am sorry about the dress!!

• Reply Quinn October 12, 2009 at 10:29 am

OMG – I missed so much last week! Engaged!!!!! I am so happy for you!!!! If you need tips, lemme know 🙂

Love the quilts – my sister is a Tri Delt. I was a Theta, but I'll always hold you Deltas close to my heart.

Can't wait to hear more wedding details as they unfold!

• Reply Lindsay October 12, 2009 at 10:55 am

Those quilts are awesome! That is such a great idea!

Your Moms dress is beautiful! Too bad it didn't preserve well. Do you think you could incorporate parts of her dress into one for you? Maybe some of the trim or something could be added to a dress. That way you could still have at least a part of her dress with you!

• Reply Julie @savvyeats October 12, 2009 at 2:20 pm

I love T-shirt quilts! My grandma made me one a few years back, and it is my favorite thing! I like your idea of having a different quilt for each type of T-shirt, too 🙂

• Reply Texan Couture October 12, 2009 at 4:20 pm

Great idea with the quilt, I need to do that with my Delta Zeta shirts!

That is shame about your moms dress, its so pretty!

• Reply Jeri October 12, 2009 at 5:02 pm

My mom and grandma made me one of those out of my HS shirts for xmas a couple of years ago, and I'm going to start one (w/gma's help) for all my college shirts. I LOVE mine.