My First Ice Bath

After my 11 mile run yesterday I made big plans as soon as I got back home to brave my first ice bath. I have been reading about others (here and here) taking ice baths and decided to try it out for myself.

pics 875

My ice bath included cold water, hot tea, a good book (thanks Olivia!) some Zico water and ofcourse lots of ice!

pics 876 pics 877

I sat on the side and pretty much only had my feet in for the firs 5 minutes or so. I am not going to lie. It hurt. I was holding on to my hot tea for dear life.

pics 880

After a while, I eventually made it all the way in to the bath. It was Oh. So. Cold. and I had to mentally talk myself into staying in the bath. But this pain only lasted for a little while, and then I went numb and everything felt good!

pics 881 pics 882

Until fiancé didn’t think I had any ice left in the bath and decided to add more! How sweet of him!

pics 884 pics 887

Brrr. It started to get cold again, but this time it was a good cold.

pics 885pics 883

My legs had helped me run a long time today, and it felt good to let them relax in the cold icy water.

pics 888

My main reason for the ice bath (torture) was an experiment to see if if would really benefit me. I wanted to know if sitting in an icy bath for 15-20 minutes post a long run if it would really leave me not sore the next day and feeling fresh.

pics 891pics 893

I took the ice bath yesterday and woke up this morning and my legs feel pretty good. Still slightly sore, but no where near what they usually feel like after a long run. Its like it skipped 2-3 days of pain/soreness, which is pretty good.

pics 897 pics 902

11 miles! Booyahh! I am SO ready for the Philly Half next weekend. My family is coming up to see my race and other friends are coming as well. I can’t wait! I also plan on taking more ice baths in the future.

Have YOU ever taken an ice bath?

• Reply Jenny November 15, 2009 at 5:29 pm

ouchie mama! I complain when I have to take a mildly cold shower — you are a tougher chick than I!

• Reply Living and Loving in L.A. November 15, 2009 at 7:01 pm

I have taken a million ice baths, since I just ran my first marathon. I always do them after long runs and really do think they work!!!
    My favorite thing (besides drinking something hot) is to eat something like a sandwich while I'm in the tub. For some reason, eating makes it less miserable. At least for me!!!

• Reply *Naomi* November 15, 2009 at 7:53 pm

wowww i admire you for doing that! it looks so cold in there! good for you for braving the ice bath!!

• Reply Charm City Kim November 16, 2009 at 12:45 am

I love ice baths!

• Reply Lacey Nicole November 16, 2009 at 2:29 am

i love them now!!!!!! you really get used to them… or maybe it's just me?? i even take cold showers now sometimes after short runs … ice baths have changed my life!

• Reply inmytummy November 16, 2009 at 2:46 am

You're brave. I couldn't do it. I've tried and ended up turning on the hot water.

• Reply MoraPiggy November 16, 2009 at 4:03 am

Impressive. I don't think I could do it. I hate to be cold. I don't even like to drink ice water, so I know I wouldn't enjoy sitting in it.

What do you think of Push. I read it a few weeks ago. Pretty gritty but I loved it and can't wait to see the movie.

• Reply Steel Springs November 16, 2009 at 4:19 am

Brrr! Way to brave the cold! I'll have to give that a shot when I get to double digits.

• Reply C.G. the Foodie November 16, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Ice baths scare me but I think I will have to try them with everyone raving about the lack of pain after! Good luck at your half!

• Reply Nutritious is Delicious November 16, 2009 at 10:13 pm

oh boy! I'm not sure I could do that! Good luck with the Half!!

• Reply lauren November 17, 2009 at 9:26 pm

wow! great job on the ice bath and good luck in the philly half next weekend. I will be there! I am too much of a wimp to try an ice bath.

oh and artie's rocks. 🙂