Hi! This is Megan from Megzz Wins At Life. I don’t know about you all but I love to bake. It all started with the easy bake oven when I was a little girl..
Now I find myself baking for every excuse possible…parties, birthdays, visitors, co-workers, you name it I bake it! Throughout the years I have learned some healthy alternatives while baking.
- Perhaps the most obvious switch would be using Whole Wheat Flour in exchange for regular flour. When using whole wheat flour start with a little less flour than you would normally use as it comes out a little thicker than regular flour.
- When baking things that require oil I often replace with applesauce. Applesauce still gives the sweets the same moisture as oil but a lot less of the fat. I usually double the required amount of oil with applesauce. For example if the recipe requires ½ cup of oil I use 1 cup of applesauce.
- Another obvious alternative is substituting egg whites for eggs. Most egg white containers let you know the equation for egg whites compared to the eggs.
- When baking chocolate chip cookies I replace the standard chocolate chips with carob chips.
- Often recipes call for a lot of sugar. I usually use half the sugar required and add some honey. This way I am still getting the same sweet taste but without the added sugar.
Don’t forget to check out my blog and happy baking J