Lime ‘n Cantaloupe Margarita Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1.5 t baking soda
- 2 t baking powder (I use aluminum-free)
- 1/4 t fine grain sea salt
- 1/2 cup sugar (I use organic cane sugar)
- 1 cup diced cantaloupe
- Flax egg: whisk 1 T ground flax + 3 T warm water (replaces 1 egg)
- 1 t pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I use almond or soy)
- 1 t lime juice
- 1/3-1/2 cup sweetened soy yogurt (or regular yogurt)
- Lime zest (optional)
- Chia seeds (optional)
Directions: Preheat oven to 350F. Grease muffin tin. Whisk ground flax and water in a small/medium bowl and let it set for a few minutes. In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. Take the smaller bowl with the flax in it and whisk again. Now add the rest of the wet ingredients to the flax mixture. Whisk well. Now add the wet mixture to the dry and stir until just incorporated. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon of batter into the muffin tin. Now add a dollop of the yogurt on top and follow it with another tablespoon of batter on top. Repeat for the remaining 11 muffins. garnish with lime zest. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.
The yogurt and cantaloupe really did a nice job of replacing any need for added fat. I also think these would be divine using mango or even pineapple.
Don’t forget to check out my Peanut Butter Banana Bomb muffins too! They are super delicious and oozing with peanut butter cream.
Wishing you a wonderful Twenty Ten filled with blog-worthy food, friendly company, and glowing health!