Chicago Marathon Bound

Want to know what I did Tuesday morning??

Registration Confirmation for:  Bank of America Chicago Marathon

Dear Leslie,

Congratulations! You are entered to run in the Bank of America Chicago Marathon on Sunday, October 10, 2010.

************************************************************

Bank of America Chicago Marathon

Apparently I went slightly insane and registered for my first ever FULL marathon earlier this week. AhHhHhHhHh!

I am actually very scared.

I have always wanted to do a Full Marathon. It’s always been in the back of my mind as something I knew I really wanted to do and always planned on doing. I just think I was waiting for the right time and the perfect race to run. I want my first marathon experience to be nothing short of magical. I want it to be a tough and respected course. I didn’t want to sign up for some random marathon, I wanted my first to be a big one, and I think it’s going to be just that!

I was informed by Meghann the other day after she read my NYC Half recap that apparently I qualified for a seeded start corral in the Chicago Marathon! In this particular marathon there is the Elite Development runners who start first, followed by corrals A-D and behind that is open start. Each of the lettered corrals will hold people that qualified for placement by running a specific half or full marathon time.

I qualified for corral D!

Seeded Start Corrals A, B, C and D are secure start areas designed to offer a quicker and smoother start for all qualified runners. Corrals A-D hold 12,500 people, but the race itself maxes out at 45,000 people, so that means even if I am the last person standing in corral D there are still  32,500 people behind me in open start.

I am seriously quite honored to have earned a place in one of the corrals for this race. This means so much to me and it just shows how far I have come in terms of running!

Here is a little Chicago Marathon trivia:

Alongside the Boston, New York, London and Berlin Marathons, it is one of the five World Marathon Majors.The October 10, 2010 running will be the 33nd Anniversary running of the race.

Wouldn’t you know it that within an hour or two of me actually signing up, the race registration closed?! I was going to sign up Monday night and then fiancé told me to sleep on it just to be sure but then I got out of class Tuesday morning and signed up real quick -  the next thing you know i heard via twitter that it was closed! I didn’t think it was going to fill up that fast! I guess it is really meant to be for me to run this race!

I have never been to Chicago, so fiancé and I are planning on making a long weekend out of it! I can’t wait!

199 days and counting….

I still can’t decide if the countdown is out of excitement or fear. Probably a little of both!

Anyone else running Chicago??

I am now in dire need of marathon motivation, tips and any advice you have for me! Share your words of wisdom runners!

• Reply Carly March 25, 2010 at 8:18 am

Wow, congrats! That's a big one. I know you've said before that you're not really into training plans, but I think I would take a look at a few to get some ideas. I think the key is to train safely, which I'm sure you'll do. Congrats again! You're going to do great!

• Reply dori March 25, 2010 at 8:38 am

Yayyyyy!!! Amazing, you are awesome for qualifying to be the fastest!

• Reply Kelly March 25, 2010 at 9:02 am

Congrats on registering and qualifying for a corral! I've always wanted to go to chicago, it should be awesome!

• Reply Jenny March 25, 2010 at 9:04 am

you, my dear girl, are a running machine! congrats!!!!!

• Reply Lauren March 25, 2010 at 9:09 am

Wow, awesome!

• Reply Cassie March 25, 2010 at 9:47 am

i am so excited for you! congrats on qualifying for a corral – no repeats of the princess half 🙂

i cant wait to read about your journey to the marathon!

• Reply Velma March 25, 2010 at 9:54 am

I am running chicago! I have been following you on twitter. The corral makes all the difference for this type of race!! The crowds are crazy! Good luck. We will have to have a bloggy meet up at the expo.

• Reply ernise March 25, 2010 at 10:00 am

How exciting to qualify for a corral! You'll do great! I'm sure!

Chicago is a great city!

• Reply Erin at The Healthy Apron March 25, 2010 at 10:22 am

wow, thats awesome!

• Reply Lauren @ Eat, Drink, and Be Hopeful March 25, 2010 at 10:39 am

That's fantastic! Congrats and good luck. I can't wait until my ankle heals and I can run again. You will do great!

• Reply April March 25, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Congrats!!! You will do great and you will LOVE Chicago!!

• Reply Ashley March 25, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Congrats!! i signed up for my first full marathon in May and I am very scared too! you will do amazing..i'm glad you got a spot!

• Reply lauren March 25, 2010 at 1:28 pm

SO exciting! You will do great. My advice for ur first full: relax and enjoy it. It is a huge accomplishment and u will
    never forget ur first! My first was marine corps and I think choosing a bigger one is a great idea. The crowds alone will pull u through any rough parts. Good luck w/ training!

• Reply Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete March 25, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Yay!!!! That is so good! I dream of running Chicago!! You are totally capable, and you are going to do great!

• Reply feetinmotion March 25, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Congrats girl!! That's so exciting!!

• Reply Evie Clercx March 25, 2010 at 4:05 pm

This is fabulous. I think I just asked you if you had ever run one…now I know. Very serendipitous to have made it in "at the buzzer". Just a warning, you will become obsessed. My first marathon is in May, and it's all I can think about or talk about (see?).

• Reply C.G. the Foodie March 25, 2010 at 5:59 pm

WTG on qualifying for the D corral!!!!!!

We are running our first marathons on the same day! I will be in Portland! Hopefully I will be running it, although I am determined to walk it even if my injuries won't let me run the full thing.

I look forward to reading all about your training!

• Reply ladypurpl March 26, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Congrats on getting into Chicago! Just train safely and remember you have a wedding to plan too. We'll meet you in Chicago!

• Reply runeatdatesleep March 28, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Woohoo!!! I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to hear all about your marathon training. That's so exciting you qualified for a seeded corral.

• Reply LosingWeightintheCity.com April 7, 2010 at 1:14 pm

I'm also running Chicago, and it's also my first! How does one qualify for a corral?