Marathon Fever

Oh crap.

I just found out that I got accepted into the NYC Marathon 2010.

The ING NYC Marathon

This is very exciting news! It would be way more exciting if I didn’t just sign up for the Chicago Marathon 2 weeks ago!

Eeeek! What do I do? The Chicago Marathon is in 185 days and the NYC Marathon is in 213 days.

You do the math.

That’s only 28 days between races. Not much time at all.

I knew when I signed up for Chicago that I may or may not get into NYC, but I also knew Chicago would sell out before I found out about NYC. It was a tough call.

I signed up for Chicago because I qualified for Corral D, which was really special and important to me. Who knows what will happen with my running future, but I figured since I qualified, I should go for it!

My only question now is what about NYC? It’s not a question of training, because obviously I will be trained for Chicago, but is it too much? Is that too much to put your body through?

Chicago will by my first full marathon. I don’t want to injure myself, because I would love to continue running for a long time, but I don’t want to miss out on this opportunity. It would be awesome and amazing to do both.

What do I do? Any words of wisdom? Help!

Did any of my blogger friends/readers get into the NYC marathon too? Let me know if you are in!

************************************************

Don’t forget to enter my OpenSky Zensah Leg Sleeves Giveaway! It ends tonight! I am going to need another pair myself for all this training! I love my leg sleeves!

• Reply Dori April 7, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Congratulations!!! How is it that you get into every lottery and I never get into any! So I think it might be best for you to defer NYC to 2011. You don't know how your body will handle the Chicago marathon and how long it will take you to recover after. I wouldn't have signed up for my second half if I had any indication how I'd feel after my first.

While I do think in ideal conditions you *could* do both, I think the risk of not being able to would suck. I think you don't have to make the decision for awhile anyway, so you can think about it and see how you feel.

I will definitely be running NYC in 2011 though! 🙂 Although knowing you, you'd get into that lottery too!

Whatever you decide, I am sure you will do great!

• Reply Kelly April 7, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Congrats! That's exciting! I think you could possibly do both, but it might be pushing it.

• Reply Genesis April 7, 2010 at 1:30 pm

wow, congrats! i agree with what Dori says. one at a time 🙂

• Reply Evie Clercx April 7, 2010 at 1:57 pm

do it, do it, do it! Even if you have to walk the second marathon…it will be a tremendous experience.

• Reply Anonymous April 7, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I'm 27, have run five marathons, and am running Boston in two weeks.

I signed up for both Chicago and NYC with the intent to run both, but unfortunately got the dreaded "Not Accepted". The qualifying standard for NYC is 15 minutes faster than Boston….

Honestly running a marathon is the best training run you can do to prepare for another one. 28 days is more than enough time to recover, in fact you should feel much better only 4-5 days later. Full recovery may take up to two weeks, but no more than that.

I would definitely do both given the opportunity.

• Reply Carolyn April 7, 2010 at 2:17 pm

I am by no means an expert, but I would think 28 days is plenty of time in between. You would have time to recover, get in a couple of long runs, AND taper.

• Reply Tracey- TropicalHappiness.com April 7, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Congrats on getting in to the marathon! As others said, you might be able to do both, especially if you train properly. Mhegann @http://graduatemeghann.com/ ran two pretty close together, so maybe you could contact her.
    Is it possible to take it as they come, and after the first one, see how your body feels? I know you'd probably have to buy plane tickets/hotels, etc… but that might be a good option.
    Good luck! Let us know what you end up doing!

• Reply Melissa April 7, 2010 at 2:42 pm

So jealous! I just found out I didn't get accepted 🙁 Okay for your decision – try to imagine how you're going to feel right after Chicago. Do you see yourself looking forward to NY or feeling like you just want a break for a little while. I definitely think you CAN do it, so decide based on how you imagine you'll feel.

• Reply Ashley April 7, 2010 at 4:34 pm

I give you credit for even attempting the marathon … my ultimate goal is a half. If I can ever run 13.1 consecutive miles, I will be happy enough to leave it at that. I'm looking foward to reading about your training!

• Reply Ashley April 7, 2010 at 10:04 pm

I agree that 28 days should be enough time to recover. I'm in and can't wait to hopefully train together or at least be positive motivators!

• Reply Tara April 7, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Congrats on getting in to NYC! That is the marathon I want to do next!

• Reply Mel Ashline April 8, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Congrats!! I got into NYC Marathon as well! Whoo Hoo! NY will be my first and I had considered registering for Chicago on the chance I didn't get into NY.

• Reply ladypurpl April 9, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Train properly, make sure you have good shoes! See how you feel after Chicago and maybe you could defer for the next year if Chicago was too much. You don't want to qualify for NYC and not do your best because you might not qualify for it again. Think it all through and you'll come up with the right answer for yourself. GOOD LUCK!