She Swims

I know I have been posting about my running progress and training plans for some time now but I have something new for you today!

I have been toying with the idea of entering the SheRox Sprint Triathlon race in Philadelphia this coming August. I started reading about it a while back and have been wanting to sign up.

At first I was concerned that this would interfere with my upcoming Marathon Training, but the more and more I think about it, I believe it can only enhance my training!

Here is what the SheRox Tri distances are:

.8K (.5 mile) swim, 25K (15.5 mile) bike, 5K (3.1 mile) run

Not too bad right?

I was always  planning on integrating some biking and other endurance work into my training regardless.I don’t want to only run, I want to do other things and keep my training fresh. I am concerned about burning out too soon, so I believe the biking/swimming aspect of a triathlon will be beneficial in the long run!

I went out after work today and picked up these bad boys –

tasteofnation 084

Yes, these are sexy goggles from CVS – what a deal at only $7.99! I haven’t officially signed up for the race, and I don’t want to invest any cash into some of the gear I would need for training just yet.

I want to swim and bike and train for a week or so and see how everything goes with running and give it some time. I don’t want to rush into anything too fast, but I really want to do this race!

tasteofnation 085

With my sexy new goggles today I decided that a workout in the pool would be perfect for this hot HOT day in Philadelphia. It’s difficult to run outside in this heat, so swimming is such a great alternative to have in my back pocket!

tasteofnation 086

I swam my little heart out for about 50  minutes with a few breaks in between. The only problem was that I wasn’t sure how many laps I need to do in my pool! It’s small, so I am not sure how many laps would equal a mile. I did about 40 laps and walked the length of the pool, which to me was about 24 steps.

Any idea what that translates to in terms of pool swimming distance?

tasteofnation 087

It felt good to swim around on this hot day. It was nice to work out some different muscles I normally wouldn’t hit on a run, specifically my arms! I am sure I will be sore tomorrow!

tasteofnation 121tasteofnation 122

It was also awesome to sport these goggles! You know I was working them in the pool!

Swimming those 40 laps today totally made me feel awesome about the tri! I really want to sign up for it! Anyone else in Philly (or out of Philly!) planning on participating?

tasteofnation 124

What do you think about my triathlon plans?

Have you ever done a tri? Have you done a tri while training for something else? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!

• Reply Meghan@traveleatlove June 23, 2010 at 10:01 pm

I have never done a tri as I am not a strong swimmer or biker, but I say go for it!!! You will be great!

• Reply Jen June 23, 2010 at 10:05 pm

I just did my first tri a couple of weeks ago and LOVED it. I'm now tri training and marathon training at the same time, and also believe it will just make me a better runner.

You're going to do awesome in the tri! Swimming for 50 min on your first swim is super impressive!

• Reply Carly June 24, 2010 at 12:05 am

Well, obviously I do triathlons. 🙂 Check out this post I did awhile back:
    I think you might find it helpful. Also, trinewbies.com is a great site.

I think you should go for it and that you'll totally love it.

• Reply Brittney June 24, 2010 at 1:33 am

I'm thinking of doing a tri also! My biggest concern is the swim as I don't have a great place to practice, but I agree, those distances are totally doable. Good luck!

• Reply Lauren June 24, 2010 at 11:51 am

Weird…I have been seriously considering doing this tri too. My friend did it last year, and is doing it this year, and says it's a lot of fun and a great beginnger tri.
    I just haven't had time to swim, which is why I haven't signed up.

I need to decide!

• Reply Kate June 24, 2010 at 3:08 pm

the sherox is a pipe dream of mine…
    I would need a bike and might have an obligation that weekend… but maybe…
    and Uroc those googles!

• Reply amanda June 24, 2010 at 11:03 pm

never done a triathlons…but i've been dying to even since a group of my friends participated in one last year. i love the thought of swimming, biking and running. such a good time!

• Reply Anne @ the doctor takes a wife June 25, 2010 at 6:30 pm

How fun!! I would love to do a triathalon, but I am sooo not a swimmer. Maybe I can change that sometime soon!

• Reply ladypurpl June 27, 2010 at 9:30 pm

It's good to train differently and work other muscles. I'm sure you will be great!

• Reply rachel June 28, 2010 at 1:03 am

i'm doing the philly danskin sherox!!! i did it as a relay last year but it rained and they ended up canceling it half way through. are you going to any of the clinics??