Cheesy Squash Casserole

Are you ready for my first squash of the season, because I sure am!

DSC_1568

This beautiful squash was purchased during one of my recent Reading Terminal trips.

For this meal I called upon the power of twitter to provide me with an awesome butternut squash recipe. I asked and twitter answered!

My inspiration for the meal was based on – Paula Deen’s Cheesy Squash Casserole – Yum!

DSC_1569

I made a few changes here and there, but followed the bulk of the recipe provided.

Step one – peel the squash. I don’t think I have ever technically peeled a squash like this before, but the vegetable peeler did the job great!

DSC_1574

I love the bright orange/yellow color inside the squash.

DSC_1575 DSC_1576

Without the skin, ready to be sliced and diced.

DSC_1577

I sliced the squash in half and embraced the orange.

DSC_1579

I used my melon baller to scoop out the guts of the squash.

DSC_1580

It worked like a charm!

Side Note: Preheat oven to 350* while chopping up the veggies!

DSC_1581

Then I got to cubing up my squash.

DSC_1582

To do the cutting I used my favorite knife, the New West Knife.

DSC_1583

Ingredients for Cheesy Squash Casserole

• 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1 butternut squash, cubed
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 1/2 cauliflower, cut
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar
  • 1/2 cup yogurt
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1-2 handful of crackers, crushed medium to fine

Serves 4-6

DSC_1586

After cutting everything up I sautéed all the veggies until soft.

DSC_1588

While I was getting my cook on, I had myself a little brewski. Remember when I went to the Dogfish Head brewery a few weeks ago? Good times, good times! Any other Punk fans out there?

DSC_1590

DSC_1591DSC_1592

I knew the dish was ready for the next step when the butternut squash was very soft and mushy. I then transferred the dish to a mixing bowl to add the parmesan, cheddar and yogurt – as well as salt and pepper to taste.

Then I transferred everything to my Dutch oven, which I used as a casserole dish without the top to go into the oven.

DSC_1593 DSC_1594DSC_1596

It was orangey yellow and just beautiful pre-oven!

DSC_1595

Then I crunched up 2 handfuls of crackers and sprinkled it on top.

DSC_1597   DSC_1602DSC_1600DSC_1599 DSC_1601

The crackers added a little CRUNCH!

DSC_1605

Into the oven it went! Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden and bubbly.

DSC_1606 DSC_1607

DSC_1608 DSC_1609

It came out pure perfection!

DSC_1610

DSC_1611 DSC_1612

I am sort of obsessed with my addition of the cauliflower. Mixed with the butternut squash it was so tasty!

DSC_1613

DSC_1614DSC_1616

This dish was amazing. It was the perfect combination of savory and sweet. The butternut squash gave it a hit of sweetness and the rest of the veggies kept the flavors more calm and the crackers gave it a little crunch action!

DSC_1615  DSC_1617

It might be one of my new favorite butternut squash recipes! Thank you so much to my twitter friend who suggested this!

DSC_1618

What’s your favorite butternut squash recipe?

• Reply Becky September 28, 2010 at 12:19 pm

I have a butternut squash and cauliflower from Saturday's trip to the farmer's market. How fitting!

• Reply Kelly Anne September 28, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I am a huge fan of both Punk and having a brewski while cooking! That recipe looks delish!

• Reply Charm City Kim September 28, 2010 at 12:57 pm

holy crap – that looks amazing! I'm def. going to have to try that this weekend.

• Reply Emily Malloy September 28, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Yum! Looks divine!

• Reply Ashley September 28, 2010 at 1:15 pm

That looks amazing! Will definitely have to make it!

• Reply jessicavogel September 28, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I LOVE pumpkin beers. I saw that particular one at TJ's the other night, and I might have to pick it up tonight after work.

• Reply kristastes September 28, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I love this recipe I made up using butternut squash…I made it again last night 🙂 http://kristastes.wordpress.com/2010/09/15/holy-moly-philly-marathon-and-butternut-squash-coconut-curry/

• Reply ladypurpl September 29, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Looks yummy! I need to make that recipe too!

• Reply stampylisa October 1, 2010 at 4:30 pm

mmm looks delish!! I like to peel mine & dice too, then I roast it in the toaster oven, and make a pot of brown rice, then I put the squash, brown rice in a bowl and top it with torn up bits of raw kale. then drizzle w/honey and coconut oil. it's delish and I get the raw kale, but not so much of the kale-y bitterness, cause it's cut w/the honey & squash. makes it more palatable.

• Reply runeatdatesleep.com December 1, 2010 at 3:30 am

I just made this tonight. It's delicious!

Being from Delaware, I love all things Dogfish, especially the Punkin Ale. I actually ran down Rehoboth Ave next to Dogfish last Sunday on my long run. Love that place!

• Reply Jessica March 27, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Just gave this a go – delicious! My hubby and I are not big fans of cauliflower but in this dish it was awesome – thanks.

• Reply Albertina Ashton April 22, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Butter is a dairy product made by churning fresh or fermented cream or milk. It is generally used as a spread and a condiment, as well as in cooking, such as baking, sauce making, and pan frying. Butter consists of butterfat, milk proteins and water.*

Our very own web page