Emotional Running

Since my first marathon is a little more than a week away I figured I would post this morning about a topic that has been on my mind a lot lately – Emotional Running.

I am currently in taper mode and mentally trying to psych myself up for my fast approaching 26.2 mile run. Every day it becomes more and more real that I will step over the start line in Chicago and attempt to run a marathon, my first marathon.

That scares me and excites me in so many ways at the same time!

Running a marathon has always been something I have wanted to do. I had been a goal of mine, a bucket list item for me, but there was no real timeline for when it would happen. I always thought it would be cool to say I ran a marathon – To call myself a marathoner, but the reality of signing up for all the training held me back.

It’s a scary thought and a big commitment.

HLS 331

But now, here we are with race day right around the corner. I have put in the long run work – I ran my first few steps past half marathon distance and reached 14 miles in July. Then I hit 16 miles in Chicago on Lake Michigan with some awesome blogger buddies, followed by 18 miles in Philadelphia with some friends.

I then had an unexpected run and ran 20 miles for the first time ever. Watching the 20 pop up on my Garmin was a crazy feeling. Then I went for 21.5 miles a few weeks later and here we are now.

All that seems so long ago now.

It has been a crazy summer and just looking back at all the miles I have run and the time and effort I have put into it gets me very emotional about running Chicago. I am proud of myself for what I have been working towards and am excited about what’s to come.   Maybe it just all this running or the taper madness is making me crazy but I think about myself running the marathon and it gets me all teary eyed and I get a bit weepy.

Maybe its my nerves!? Maybe I am just a wierdo?!

I am very blessed because I am going to be travelling to Chicago with an awesome support system. Fiancé is coming with me as are both my parents, my brother and fiancé’s parents. Everyone is coming to cheer me on and watch me cross that finish line. Having my family with me for this special time means a lot to me.

Even typing that gets me all teary eyed!

Anyone else have this issue for their first marathon?

March 308

Does anyone out there in the blog world have any words of wisdom for emotional running? Anyone else get emotional from while training for a big race?

• Reply Abby September 28, 2010 at 9:35 am

Yes! I call it PMS–pre marathon syndrome!

• Reply Lacey Nicole September 28, 2010 at 9:39 am

i was very emotional during my marathon!!! plus it rained the whole time and elliot + my parents + sis/hus/dog came out so i just felt so blessed. and for the past year i have been emotional that i even did it!!! and so proud of myself 🙂 it's a huge accomplishment/undertaking. i was very glad someone told me ahead of time: "you only have one first marathon." so i think you're appreciation / awareness of how you feel around it is awesome!!

• Reply Lacey Nicole September 28, 2010 at 9:39 am

*your

• Reply thesundayflog September 28, 2010 at 9:45 am

JEEZ! i havent run a marathon so therefore am unable to offer you tips, but just READING this made me teary-eyed!! proud of you! you will do great! 🙂

• Reply Theresa @ActiveEggplant September 28, 2010 at 10:44 am

I wasn't emotional during my marathon training, but definitely cried at the end!
    Love that purple running skirt – what brand is it? Looks like the legs are longer & I have such a hard timing finding long ones!

• Reply Nichole September 28, 2010 at 11:22 am

Each day closer to something big you get all sorts of emotional. Angry, happy, etc. Embrace it – this is what you've worked hard to do! You are going to rock the daylights out of the run. Channel that emotion into drive!

• Reply Betsy September 28, 2010 at 11:41 am

Hey!

I feel the same way, and just wrote a post about tapering (which I am having a hard time with). I KNOW I am ready but the race seems so far away from my last 20 mile run.

Also, I am nervous and excited – but also so emotional I think I am going to burst. I watched Spirit of the Marathon over the weekend and sobbed through the entire thing! drama, drama, drama.

• Reply Theodora September 28, 2010 at 11:47 am

I definitely feel the same way! I'm really proud of myself and how far I've come. WE ARE GOING TO RUN OUR FIRST MARATHONS NEXT WEEKEND!!!!!

• Reply Brie @ Brie Fit September 28, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Chicago will be my first, too, and I'm a wreck. I tear up at EVERYTHING, and every time I think about finishing I get chills. I can't wait!

• Reply Veggies, Cake & Cocktails September 28, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I've never run a marathon and it's not on my radar. But I had to comment to tell you how awesome it is that you have such a great support system. Reading the paragraph about your family got me teary eyed:)

I live in Chicago and plan on cheering on all the runners. If I see you I will cheer louder!

• Reply Anonymous September 28, 2010 at 1:26 pm

This is going to be awesome!

• Reply Emily September 28, 2010 at 2:49 pm

If you're ready to cry now, be prepared to bawl once you cross that finish line! I totally get emotional thinking about all the effort I put into training and getting emotionally/physically/mentally ready for a big race. Enjoy the last week and a half!

• Reply Melissa Cari @ Miles for Markets September 28, 2010 at 4:41 pm

I can't believe your race is SO soon Leslie! You're going to do amazing. I've been getting emotional on some of my longer runs recently and I can only imagine what the marathon will bring. I think it will be all good emotions though 🙂

• Reply Becky September 28, 2010 at 6:29 pm

I am already super emotional about the whole thing. Long runs make me cry! I can't even imagine what the real thing will be like. So soon!!

• Reply maggie September 28, 2010 at 10:00 pm

I am teary eyed as I read this post…..it's exactly how I felt before I ran my first half marathon….it felt so scary to attempt 13.1, I can't imagine how it feels for you and 26.2! Good luck!

• Reply ladypurpl September 29, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I am so proud of you in every aspect of your life! Be proud of yourself for all of your hard work and if you feel like crying and being emotional, that's ok, go ahead! You know, you are your mother's daughter! We already know who is emotional, don't we? Just wait until your wedding day!

• Reply kilax September 29, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I will probably be crossing the finish line at Chicago teary-eyed too. And that's okay! It's a big deal 🙂

• Reply Alyssa October 2, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Just happened upon this blog this weekend. I am also running my first marathon, the Philly one in November. And I have been so emotional about it the whole time I've been training and even before. Every time I read Runners World I get a teary! Have a great marathon!