My First Kale

I have come a long way in terms of my 2010 resolutions to try out some new food. I remember, back in the day, when I had yet to try Brussels sprouts and tofu– which I now love! All that seems so long ago, and I don’t know why I put off trying those amazing foods for so long. I need to trust the blog world more!

For lunch today I made a recent favorite and a new favorite.

DSC_0091

I attempted a new little tofu twist.

DSC_0092

I used part of the recipe from my spicy Thai peanut sprouts to season my tofu. I felt a little crazy and decided to try it out.

DSC_0093

I also decided to attempt the ever popular in the blog world – Kale Chips – with my kale bouquet.

DSC_0094 DSC_0095 DSC_0096DSC_0097

Kale doesn’t look so scary, does it??

DSC_0101

I might have gone a little crazy with the kale photo shoot.

DSC_0102DSC_0104DSC_0112

I had to take some pictures of the kale by Jackson to give you all an idea of the actual size of this bad boy.

DSC_0108

Jackson is 11.5 pounds. The kale was 1.10 pounds.

DSC_0109

It’s a pretty big bouquet of kale if you ask me. Are they usually this enormous?  The kale was overtaking Jackson!

DSC_0110

Next it was time to wash the kale.

DSC_0125 DSC_0113

Did you notice that I really love this little tag with the Eat More Fresh Vegetables writing on it?

DSC_0115  DSC_0117

This is one leaf of kale – it’s pretty big.

DSC_0118

Again, with Jackson in the background for perspective.

DSC_0120DSC_0121DSC_0122

Then it was time to slice and dice and put on a baking sheet.

DSC_0126 DSC_0127

I topped the kale with a drizzle of olive oil

DSC_0128

And a sprinkle of parmesan cheese for good measure.

DSC_0129   DSC_0132 DSC_0133

I baked the kale chips at 375 for about 15 minutes, until the edges were crispy. I baked the tofu per the normal temp and time.

DSC_0134

Looking at this picture makes me so happy. A year ago I never thought I would be eating tofu & kale!

DSC_0135

It’s so crazy how much the kale shrinks in the oven! I feel like I put so much in and not so much comes out.

DSC_0136 DSC_0137

Crispy, crunchy kale!

DSC_0139DSC_0140

I enjoyed mine with a side of ketchup.

DSC_0141

I am not kidding you when I say the kale tastes like potato chips. It’s crunchy and a little smoky tasting. They are amazing!

DSC_0142 DSC_0143

I am so happy I jumped on the kale bandwagon! These babies just rocked my world.

DSC_0144DSC_0145

It was a lovely little meal.

DSC_0146

The peanut Thai tofu didn’t turn out as well as I would have liked. The sauce was amazing but for some reason the tofu never got crispy. Not sure why, but I still enjoyed dipping the tofu in the extra sauce.

Any idea why the tofu didn’t crisp up?

DSC_0147

A Kale Question – Do you use the stalk of the kale or do you cut it off? I wasn’t sure so I didn’t include it in my first kale experience. Not sure it would work or not.

DSC_0148

Are you on the kale train? Do you enjoy it or are you still waiting to try it? Let me know what other kale recipes you have for me!

• Reply Lizzy September 14, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I eat Kale Chips 3X a week. I love them! Don't eat the stalk- just pull the leaves off the stalk. I season them with olive oil, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.

• Reply livingoneday September 14, 2010 at 4:22 pm

i dont eat the stalk, i just rip the leaves off. ever since i was little ive eaten kale steamed in garlic, olive oil, and chicken broth and served over linguine with parmesan cheese. it's SOOO good

• Reply CAC muffin September 14, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Honestly I'm still scared of kale- its always just been that green stuff on the side of the plate that is there for pretty- but your picture are hilarious!

• Reply Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama September 14, 2010 at 4:56 pm

i love kale chips but they make me burp. =( I suatee kale with vegetables and LOVE it! I eat kale all of the time!

• Reply suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] September 14, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I didn't know you could make kale chips! I've been avoiding kale because it's a little too rough… Hmm, these look good though.

• Reply Nichole September 14, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I should be on the kale train, but just haven't tried it. The pick with the pup is TOO friggin funny. I see he's not enjoying the kale.

• Reply scargosun September 14, 2010 at 6:33 pm

What I like about kale is you can use the whole thing, just not necessarily the same way. I am a HUGE kale chips fan. I take out the large tough vein that goes right thru till it ends in the stalk. I chop up the hard stalk/vein parts and saute them with whatever I happen to be cooking. You can also toss it in soups as the cook. Just a nice flavor and health boost to your meal.

• Reply Becky September 14, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I love kale chips, but last time I found a worm in them. I washed the kale really good, but it still got past me. I almost bit right into the little guy. The whole experience threw me off and I haven't had kale chips since. Someday I'll get over it.

• Reply ladypurpl September 14, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Wow, who would have thought you could make kale chips? Maybe I should try them someday with you too.

• Reply Forward Foot Strides September 14, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Mmmm that peanut sauce looks good. I've eaten kale I think once in my lifetime, I enjoyed it if I remember correctly.

• Reply Tiffany September 15, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I've never tried making kale before. That picture of Jackson with the kale on the couch is super cute!

• Reply http://bestcoingenerator.pro/ April 4, 2017 at 3:57 pm

Hi there to all, how is everything, I think every one is getting more fromthis site, and your views are nice in support of new visitors.Neha recently posted..