What Can You Get for $10 ?

What can you get for $10 bucks these days? Normally I would say not much, but my views on things like this have drastically changed since I have been frequenting Reading Terminal Market.

Remember last week when I spent $5 on some awesome goods? I didn’t think it could get much better than that.

But boy was I wrong!

DSC_1467

I went back to Reading Terminal Market again because I couldn’t bare to pay more than I have to for amazing produce.

DSC_1468

I specifically didn’t buy my usual produce for the week because I really want to make a habit to get down to Reading Terminal to get some fresh local goods at a fraction of the cost for what I would pay for the same thing at the grocery stores around me.

DSC_1470

I also really love the fact that I will be buying things more seasonally which also means they will be cheaper and fresher! It’s a Win, WIN!

DSC_1469

And fresh for this season (Happy Fall!) means lots and lots of squash. Acorn, butternut and spaghetti squash! Oh My!

DSC_1471

I also picked up a few new items that I will be experimenting with in the upcoming days.

DSC_1473

Anyone have any good yucca recipes?

DSC_1474

I feel like I am committing highway robbery. There is NO WAY I should be able to get all the amazing vegetables I got at Reading Terminal Market for the prices that I paid for them.

I got all this ->

DSC_1482

Acorn squash, red onions, kale

DSC_1483

Butternut squash, okra, yellow squash, cucumbers…

DSC_1484

Green onions, zucchini, cauliflower, yucca…

DSC_1486

Doesn’t my little grocery pile look so pretty and green?

DSC_1487

I got 11 items of produce for under $10.

DSC_1488

Did you just about fall over? Because I almost did when I went to check out! Let’s get a closer look at that receipt :

DSC_1492

The most I paid for an item was $1.79 (for the kale) and the least I paid for an item was $0.29 for the zucchini!

Can you believe it? Because I sure can’t! I swear I felt like a security guard was going to tackle me for stealing because there is NO way produce is that affordable anymore, but apparently if you look in the right places it is!

Where is your favorite place to get affordable produce?

DSC_1494

• Reply HEATHER @ runfastermommy! September 22, 2010 at 12:13 pm

*sigh* I wish we had a good farmers market here!!! That right there would cost me at least $20, if not more…It makes me furious how expensive healthy food can be sometimes (yet I can buy enough junk to feed the family for days with $10!) Thank you for sharing, it's good to know SOMEWHERE out there good food is affordable!

• Reply Hope September 22, 2010 at 12:29 pm

I really need to go to Reading Terminal Market. I am paying entirely too much for fresh produce! I just hate driving in Center City. 🙁

• Reply Jacqui September 22, 2010 at 1:25 pm

I normally go to Produce Junction in South Jersey but they only sell in bulk. I might have to think about Reading Terminal….

• Reply Emily Malloy September 22, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Wow! You've collected quite a feast in the making.

I should really go there more often. You have inspired me, my love.

This Saturday, I will grocery shop at Reading Terminal.

• Reply scargosun September 22, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I love my farmstand in Plymouth Meeting, Maple Acres. They are on FB now too. It has been great to see them expand over the years.

What I would LOVE is to meet a bunch of people, hit RTM int he am and then have lunch and talk about what we are going to do with our bounty. That sounds like a perfect Sat morning to me.

• Reply ladypurpl September 22, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Apparently, I need to drive to Philly and visit the Terminal Market to get those prices because boy I can't around here in Northern Virginia. Maybe I should look up a farmers market in the area to compare with you!
    TBD – All your goodies looked delish!

• Reply Nichole September 22, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Make Yucca fries! I love getting produce at Trader Joes, it's actually pretty reasonable.

• Reply Lindow November 10, 2010 at 4:58 pm

The nice thing about traqveling to center city is you can take a rail line from the suburbs to the Market East stop; go upstairs and take the hallway next to The Field House Bar – and when you come out the doors to the outside, cross the street and the first double doors is at Iovines! On the weekends it is cheap parking around the market off of 12th st & Filbert..only a few dollars and traffic is not that bad. Iovines is my favorite, as they have dolar bags of veggies too. Now these are fruit and veggies that are on the edge of too ripe, but I get large bags of tomatos (about 7-9) for a dollar and make homemade pasta sauce the same day! I get a 1.00 bag of apples (about 6-7) and if there are bruises, i cut them out and make homeade baked apple slices or applesauce…so much you can do there and save! And check out other areas of the terminal market, fresh fish, designer sausage at Martins, and the amish on the weekends have lovely organic veggies… abit more expensive than iovines but cheaper than organic grovcery aisle!