A Meat & Potatoes Man

Last night for Fiancé’s birthday we did some celebrating and I thought I would let you in on some of the fun!

Fiancé came home from work to this – lots of presents, birthday cards and wine!

DSC_0317

With a side of Jackson for additional birthday cheer.

DSC_0321

Fiancé is a classic meat and potatoes kind of guy, so I already knew what he would want for his birthday dinner without asking.

His & Hers potatoes – Classic for him, Sweet for me!

DSC_0325

I did ask him for his current favorite vegetable and was surprised when he told me asparagus. I think we are making progress on getting fiancé to try and enjoy new things! Win!

DSC_0326

While dinner cooked, he opened presents. Fiancé didn’t ask for anything this year, and I already have enough trouble shopping for him as it is, so this year was particularly difficult, but I got him a few things that I think he enjoyed.

DSC_0327 DSC_0328 DSC_0329

After the presents were opened we both enjoyed some red wine.

DSC_0360

I heard good things about the Cupcake wines so decided to try out there Merlot. I enjoyed it a lot!

DSC_0362

While fiancé sat back and relaxed I continued to work on dinner in the kitchen. Jackson was my little sidekick waiting patiently for me to drop something!

DSC_0352

After a short while, dinner was served!

DSC_0357

Fiancé loves steak, and I never really make it because I don’t eat it myself and most nights I try to create something we can both enjoy, but on his birthday, if the man wants steak, he gets steak!

DSC_0358

It was my first time cooking filet and fiancé said it turned out really well. It was also my first time making mashed potatoes from scratch using whole potatoes. Those also turned out surprisingly well!

DSC_0359

While fiancé enjoyed his steak I had some sweet potatoes, asparagus and a vegetable gumbo (recipe coming soon!)

DSC_0365

Thumbs up from the birthday boy!

DSC_0366

Cheers to lots more birthday celebrations!

DSC_0367

And what’s a birthday without some cake, or in this case PIE!

DSC_0339

Stay tuned for the details on the PIE!

*****************************************************

How do you to celebrate birthdays with your friends /family?

• Reply VeggieGirl October 26, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Aww, wonderful celebration! I love celebrating birthdays with dear friends and family.

• Reply Michelle October 26, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Great pics and such an adorable doggy.

• Reply ~Mrs. Guru~ October 26, 2010 at 8:42 pm

It all looks good!

• Reply Danielle October 26, 2010 at 8:46 pm

I LOVE Cupcake Vineyards wine!!

• Reply Jacqui October 26, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Love that you do sweets and regular too!

• Reply Nicole-Lynn October 26, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Yum! Everything looks great! He's a lucky man! 🙂

• Reply thesundayflog October 27, 2010 at 9:15 am

whoop! i would recognize cupcake vineyards anywhere! i am obsessed with all things cupcake, so my best friend bought me a bottle and i actually really liked it! (ok, and the display in the store, too). happy birthday to charles!

• Reply Nicole Spang October 27, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Hi Leslie-great post! Thanks for including fiance lately…I'm sure everyone loves to hear more and more about him! yeah!

We spole a while back and I am the one who moved from Philly to Northern Virginia (we spoek via email messages once or twice).

Well, we are finally here and we were hpoing to find a picture of the Philadelphia skyline to bring with us and we never did. I love the picture you have in the last picture or so on this post…where did you find it?

Email me at nicspang@hotmail.com. THANKS!!

Thanks, Nicole

• Reply ladypurpl October 31, 2010 at 7:54 pm

What a lucky fiance – he must have really enjoyed his meat and potato dinner! You are really at ease in the kitchen, kudos to you!