In A New York State of Mind

Remember when I told you about my ‘Oh Crap’ moment?

Even though I ran my first marathon only 8 days a (was it seriously only last week?!) the reality has set in that I need to focus on what is next on my running ‘To Race’ list:

The New York Marathon 2010

The ING NYC Marathon

If you are new to the blog, I should probably let you know the whole story on what lead me to signing up for 2 marathons in one month.

Last November I ran 6.2 miles of the New York City Marathon last year with Aileen. She asked me to run with her for part of her first marathon and help her keep a 9:30-9:45 pace to achieve her goal of a 4:15 marathon – which she achieved! Woohoo!

pics 653

Aileen had such a great experience running NYC last year and she knew she would be running it again this year that somehow she convinced me to sign up for the lottery for the marathon this year.

Crazy talk, I tell ya!

When I signed up for the NYC Marathon lottery, along with all the other thousands and thousands of people, I really didn’t think I would get in. I honestly didn’t. I know so many people that entered themselves and got turned down. When I signed up it myself didn’t really feel like NYC would be my first marathon. Not sure why, but I honestly didn’t think I would ‘win’ the lottery.

A few months after I signed up for NYC, I signed up for the Chicago Marathon last March when I found out that my time from the NYC Half Marathon earlier that month qualified me for a seeded corral start in the marathon.

March 308March 309

When I ran the NYC Half I ran my best race ever (1:49:38) . I didn’t expect to do as well as I did because I ran the Disney Princess Half Marathon 2 weeks (with Kelly!) earlier and I didn’t know how fast I would be able to go.

When I signed up for the Chicago Marathon, I hit the ‘submit’ button to enter myself and I really knew that it would be my first – and within an hour of me signing up for it the registration closed! I guess it was meant to be.

Two weeks after signing up for Chicago, I got the ‘Oh Crap’ moment – I was accepted into the NYC Marathon 2010

No freakin’ way!

This was an awesome moment because I knew so many people that had been turned away – and NYC had always been a marathon I had wanted to run.

The only question was – could I do it?

My fears for running my first marathon were now coupled with the fact that I would be running back to back marathons within a month. I questioned my ability to do it, but with everyone’s support, I felt confident in moving forward with training.

I knew going into Chicago that I wanted to take it slow and not overdo it because I wanted to run NYC in a month. My goal was to finish my first marathon with a smile on my face and also not to be dreading running another marathon in a month!

DSC_0497

Since I had such an amazing experience in Chicago for my first marathon, I actually finished the race excited about running New York City in a few weeks!

My first marathon experience was nothing short of magical. I have such a respect for the people who run marathons and for the distance itself, I am excited to now be part of the club.

I am even more excited for the fact that I get to run another marathon myself in a little over 2 weeks!

In order to get myself in more of a New York State of Mind  – I have taken on new reading material –

A Race Like No Other – 26.2 miles through the Streets of New York! If this doesn’t shout race day motivation then I don’t know what does!

***************************************

If anyone has any words of wisdom for running back to back marathon’s – please share! I need all the help I can get!

• Reply thesundayflog October 18, 2010 at 9:15 pm

SO funny!! i know aileen! we were actually at a wedding together in march! (do you know laura and marco??) good luck in nyc!! so exciting!

• Reply Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) October 18, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Oh wow! You are awesome. I don't really have any advice as I'm a fairly new runner but I did want to say GOOD LUCK! I'll be cheering you on.

• Reply Mel Ashline October 18, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Awesome! You will rock NYC! I'm also reading that book as motivation. Can't believe it's less than 3 weeks. So excited…and nervous!

• Reply Brittney October 18, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Wow, cool! I didn't know you were doing two back to back! I look forward to seeing how this one goes for you! My bro ran NYC last year. I've heard it's really cool! Good luck!!

• Reply track coach and adorable wife October 18, 2010 at 11:07 pm

I have no advice, sorry, but how cool that you will be running NY. Heck even if you have to walk or drag yourself through it, just being there with all those people (and possible celebs) should be awesome! Good luck resting and training!

• Reply Lizzy October 19, 2010 at 12:38 am

I'll have to pick up that book. Hope to meet you that weekend.

• Reply stacey (granookies.com) October 19, 2010 at 1:04 am

Prepping for one marathon by running another is what i have always done. And 2 of the best races- NY & Chicago…..cant beat that! Try to get into the continental tent (auction online) – it will save you if it is cold (which it usually is). Marathon running is sooo addicitive! Arizona has one in December if you want to try for your third! ENJOY NY!

• Reply amanda October 19, 2010 at 1:08 pm

wow, talk about motivated. i'm mad impressed with your crazy running schedule to come. no advice…but i know you're going to be a rockstar.

• Reply FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com October 19, 2010 at 1:35 pm

You are a marathon machine!

• Reply Silly Girl Running October 19, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Love this post! I ran my first marathon last July, being a mountain marathon (yeah, I know…insane), and this will be my second! See you in NYC! 🙂

• Reply Anonymous October 19, 2010 at 3:00 pm

One more in December and you can join the Marathon Maniacs!

• Reply Maureen October 19, 2010 at 3:33 pm

My first marathon was NYC in 2007 … got in on my first try, too!

It is the greatest marathon in the world, so take in every second.

It will be the best time of your life, Leslie! Good luck!

• Reply Samantha October 19, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Wow! I think its awesome that you are gearing up for NYC. I would love to run it one day. Good luck and get lots of rest, a massage and lots of good food before the 7th!

• Reply Nichole October 19, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I just keep hearing the Rocky them song in my head….. GO GET EM

• Reply ladypurpl October 21, 2010 at 1:54 am

You have been smart about your attitude and training, you will not be disappointed in running the NYC. Alot of people are cheering you on! Good Luck, we'll be watching you!