My Big Fat Greek Honeymoon

This weekend fiancé and I spent the past two days focusing on one thing and one thing only:

Our Honeymoon!

For our honeymoon we have always wanted to go to Greece. It is a place neither of us have been to and it has something for both of us. Fiancé is all about the history of the place and I am all about the beaches – For us, it’s a perfect combination!

DSC_0936

We spent the entire weekend going through tons of brochures and different options for the honeymoon. It was a ton of fun. We went through a bunch of different ports of calls that we are interested in and spent a lot of time talking out the different things we want to do on our trip.

To cap off our weekend we decided to have a Greek themed dinner!

IMG_0453

We started off by visiting the Wine & Spirits store and finding some wine from Greece – Not as east as it sounds, there were only 2 options to choose from, but at least there was an option!

IMG_0454

We ended up with this lovely bottle of dry red wine – We have no idea anything else about it because we can’t read the bottle, but we know its from Greece!

IMG_0456

We also decided to do take-out from a local Greek restaurant around our area that I had been eyeing up. I figured this was the perfect time to try it out.

We started out with a classic Greek salad to share.

IMG_0457

Then we got some tzatziki sauce with some pita bread as an appetizer. It was so amazing with the wine!

IMG_0458DSC_0921

Fiancé got the lamb and I got the chicken souvlaki – It was pretty good, but it was a lot of food!

DSC_0919

While we had dinner we enjoyed watching a travel DVD on Greece that Fiancé got for his birthday from his parents.

Any Rick Steve’s Fans out there?

DSC_0934

We totally made a TV dinner out of our meal. Eating a lovely themed meal about the place you plan to Honeymoon in is AWESOME!

IMG_0463

Did I mention watching a Greece travel DVD made me even more excited to go there. Is it possible to get TO EXCITED for your honeymoon?

DSC_0922 DSC_0924

Watching a Greece movie while eating Greek food and enjoying Greek wine is the only way to shop for honeymoon destinations.

DSC_0925

Cheers to trip planning!

DSC_0926

Another present from the in-laws is this awesome coffee table book on the wonders of Greece. I took some pictures of some of the magical wonders of Greece from this book –

DSC_0937

Please take me to the wonderful land of crystal clear blue water and wonderful white architecture.

DSC_0938

This picture shows one of the few monasteries built on cliffs. Crazy, right?

DSC_0939

Lots of beautiful ruins to see in Greece!

DSC_0940

Fiancé is crazy excited to embrace all the history!

DSC_0941 DSC_0942

I am excited to embrace the glorious beaches!

DSC_0943

A little over 6 months and counting!

DSC_0944

Honeymoon ME!

DSC_0945

Any readers out there ever been to Greece? Anyone have any travel tips or must see/do advice for our honeymoon travels?

DSC_0946

• Reply theblogisthenewblack November 15, 2010 at 3:11 am

I'm dying to get to Greece, too. My bf and I want to head there on our honeymoon… err, once we're engaged/married of course! Looks fun!

• Reply Leslie November 15, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Test

• Reply Katie November 15, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Les- I spend 2 weeks in Greece this past summer. If you need any advice on places to go/what to do let me know! I loved Santorini and Hydra island. Make sure to rent a scooter to get around the island!

• Reply Evan Thomas November 15, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I love Greece! As for things I'd suggest, you must get out to Delphi. Olympia is good, too, but less to do for tourists. The islands are beautiful but they're pretty isolated. You can take an all-day boat ride that will take you to 2 or 3 different ones. Another historical place I'd suggest is Mycenae. Between Agamemnon's tomb and the museum they have built there, there's tons to do.

• Reply lisaathome November 15, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Greece looks like the perfect honeymoon spot!! Planning trips is one of my favorite things to do… Happy planning!

• Reply Evan Thomas November 15, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Oh, and the Temple of Poseidon is really great, too. It's a little out of the way, but if you can work your way out there especially towards the end of the day it's worth it.

• Reply Honey B Nutrition November 15, 2010 at 3:21 pm

We just finished honeymoon planning too – but we did not get NEARLY as in to it as you did. I love this idea. Going to get ingredients for an Asian inspired dinner and a travel DVD asap!! Thanks for the idea. 🙂

• Reply Lizzy November 15, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I went to Greece this summer. Went on a cruise and stopped at Mykonos- amazing and Athens. Don't spend a ton of time in Athens- there isn't that much to see. Have fun! PS- I tagged you on my blog : )

• Reply Stephy November 15, 2010 at 6:07 pm

My father-in-law is Greek and has family over in Greece so we have been there a few times. We tend to visit their native island (Chios) which has beautiful beaches but is not very touristy. We also did some islands one year (not Santorini or Mykonos, though I hear they are good tourist islands), but I would recommend Hydra as well. As for Athens, the Acropolis is a must and the new Acropolis museum is a must-see as well. Depending on how long you stay in Athens you should visit the Plaka for shopping (it is right near the Acropolis) and for some of the best Greek food in Athens try to find Zorbas. It is near the Plaka but my father-in-law is Greek and he can never stop talking about it, really excellent food.

• Reply Allison November 15, 2010 at 10:22 pm

I hope you take many pictures and share your adventures! I've always wanted to go to Greece too, my fiance & I have thought about honeymooning there!

• Reply ladypurpl November 16, 2010 at 2:19 am

I'm ready to go to Greece! Looks Fabulous! I have heard that Santorini is a must see! Make sure that's one of your stops too! You and fiance sure know how to plan in style! Kudos to in-laws for providing that beautiful book and video to get you in the mood!

• Reply Christine November 16, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Hi Leslie. Started following your blog after the Ing 1/2 in Phila. Been to Greece twice, and my husband has been 6 times! DON'T MISS Santorini!! Stay in the town of Oia. It's a smaller cliff-side town. Less touristy – very romantic. You can walk down the 250 steps to Port Amoudi and swim in the beautiful water, then lunch right on water. The sunset is not to be missed – fun festival atmosphere and everyone cheers when the sun goes down! Also, the new Acropolis Museum in Athens is very cool. Love your running blog!

• Reply EaToLive November 17, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Greece is my dream honeymoon as well! You'll have such a great time!! A girl I went to high school with just honeymooned there and her pictures are amazing! Enjoy it and post the beautiful shots when you go! :0)

• Reply tzatziki recipe September 23, 2011 at 11:38 am

Hi there, simply became alert to your blog thru Google, and located that it is really informative. I am going to be careful for brussels. I?ll be grateful in case you proceed this in future. Many folks will probably be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

• Reply haber December 2, 2011 at 4:05 am

Hi there, I found your web site by the use of Google whilst searching for a similar matter, your site got here up, it seems to be good. I’ve bookmarked to my favourites|added to bookmarks.