Holiday Cake Balls

Ever since I went to the Bakerella book signing, I knew what I was going to be bringing to Christmas for both our families. I have had my sights set on making Cake Balls for the Holiday for a while now and was very excited to get my hands dirty (literally) creating them.

DSC_1457

I was even more excited when I started seeing them all over the blogosphere for the holidays recently! Everyone has been getting their Cake Ball on this season – here is how I made mine.

Start out with making a regular box cake. I made a regular vanilla cake as well as a red velvet cake. Let cool completely.

DSC_1418

Then take 12 oz. of frosting for each cake. I had chocolate in the house so that’s what I went with, but vanilla would have been pretty too.

DSC_1419

Ummm….icing.

DSC_1420

Then i cut up the cake into squares and crumpled it into a mixing bowl.

DSC_1421

Then I added the frosting to the crumpled up cake and mixed everything together. I started off using the back of a spoon but I eventually had to use my hands to even it all out.

DSC_1422

Then it was time to make the balls!

DSC_1423

I made mine a little bigger than I should have. Next time I have plans to make them more bite sized, but these were fun to eat too.

DSC_1424

Then it was time to wait. You have to cool the balls completely before moving forward by putting them into the fridge for a few hours or in the freezer for 15 minutes but don’t let them freeze.

DSC_1425 DSC_1426

There were lots of cake balls to cool! These are the red velvet batch

DSC_1428DSC_1429

And here is the vanilla batch. Mixed with the chocolate icing the vanilla turned into a little marble cake looking. I liked it!

DSC_1430 DSC_1431DSC_1432

After some quality cooling time in the fridge it was time to melt some chocolate for the candy coating.

DSC_1446

Melt the chocolate as per the instructions and simply add the cake ball.

DSC_1447 DSC_1448

I used a spoon to help me get the balls in and out of the candy coating. It worked pretty well. After dipping in the candy coating, cool on wax paper and decorate as you wish! 🙂

DSC_1449

I melted white as well as milk chocolate and drizzled the opposite color on the candy coated cake ball.

DSC_1455

I think they turned out pretty great looking! I put half in my red cali bowl and the other half in my green cali bowl and took one batch to New Jersey and the other to Virginia. They were extra festive in their colorful bowls!

DSC_1456

Chocolate candy coating on the outside.

DSC_1458

Moist cake on the inside.

DSC_1459

They are the perfect holiday treat!

DSC_1460

Have you ever made Cake Balls before? Seriously, they are the best thing I have made in a while. I had to leave half of them with the families to make sure that I didn’t eat all of them myself! I love all the possibilities you can create with these! Lots of flavors and shapes and colors – I can’t wait to make my next batch!

• Reply Angela December 28, 2010 at 2:55 pm

I made them this year, too. 😉 Red velvet turned out better for me (and easier to work with) than the yellow cake. But everyone that tried them loved both. ;)You can see mine here. http://aut0poietic.us/bliss/2010/12/20/holiday-baking/

• Reply runningwithsass.com December 28, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I love making those! have you made wedding cake ones? I use white cake mix and put almond flavoring in and also in the icing. yum! I like to do white icing so I can put in food coloring and make diff colors for diff holidays!

• Reply BOBBI McCORMICK December 28, 2010 at 4:16 pm

I made them this year and now I am addicted!!!!

• Reply Megan December 28, 2010 at 4:43 pm

I was thinking of making these as a baby shower favor…any idea if I can make these ahead of time and freeze them?

• Reply Brittney December 28, 2010 at 4:45 pm

I need to try those!! Yours are pretty with the chocolate drizzle! Love that 🙂

• Reply Sara @ Running In Pink Project December 28, 2010 at 7:16 pm

These look awesome. And even though I am not a baker this looks like something I can do! 😀

• Reply Shannon December 28, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Can't wait to try making these! They look sooo good!

• Reply Amy B @ Second City Randomness December 28, 2010 at 11:05 pm

I've been obsessed with them.

And not just for the balls jokes… they're quite delicious, too!

• Reply Leslie December 28, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Megan – Yes you totally can make them ahead of time and freeze them! Enjoy!

• Reply Gabriela. December 29, 2010 at 12:07 am

WOW!
    These really DO look AH-MAZING!
    Thanks for sharing this, girl!
    😀

• Reply Alex @ I Eat Asphalt December 29, 2010 at 12:13 am

I can't pull myself away from cookie dough balls to try these. I've never been a huge fan of frosting so I'm not sure how they would go over. I'd be perfectly happy just eating the cake.

• Reply Steph December 29, 2010 at 12:25 am

I got a book just about cake balls and cake pops for Christmas and I'm very excited to give it a whirl. I'm having trouble finding candy coating in Philly…any recommendations? Thanks!!

• Reply Patty O December 29, 2010 at 1:49 am

Your cake balls looked amazing! You did an excellent job – so proud of you! I also want to say that they were sooo delicious – thoroughly enjoyed the treat!

• Reply Krista (kristastes) December 29, 2010 at 3:06 am

I LOVE cake balls! So easy and so good 🙂 I love the white chocolate drizzle, so pretty!

• Reply Carly December 29, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Yum! This is something else I want to make next year…

• Reply Shellyrm ~ just a country runner December 29, 2010 at 8:31 pm

I want to make these this weekend! I HAVE to find the time before Army Son goes back. I think even he'd indulge.

Happy New Year!

• Reply HudkinsFamily December 30, 2010 at 12:41 pm

I made these with confetti cake mix and vanilla icing and chocolate coating. I figured my kiddos would like them. I also inserted lollipop sticks to make them more like pops! The kids liked them; I think I'd like them better with a different flavor of cake. I heard carrot cake with cream cheese icing is good…….

• Reply Omar Daill April 22, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Cake is a form of bread or bread-like food. In its modern forms, it is typically a sweet baked dessert. In its oldest forms, cakes were normally fried breads or cheesecakes, and normally had a disk shape. Determining whether a given food should be classified as bread, cake, or pastry can be difficult.,

Please do inspect our homepage