The Christmas Pickle

Do you know the story of the Christmas Pickle?

DSC_0432

One of my favorite Christmas traditions when I go home to Virginia is finding the Christmas Pickle in our family tree. Ever since I was little, my family has had a Christmas Pickle ornament, which my parents would hide in the tree.

DSC_0388DSC_0389

Most of my friends had Christmas Pickle’s too. Maybe its a Virginia thing?

DSC_0391

I am excited to say that this year, I added my very own Christmas Pickle to my ever growing ornament collection.

DSC_0398

It was fun to ‘hide’ it in the tree, for the sake of tradition.

Can you spot the pickle in the tree?

DSC_0399DSC_0393

The green ornament really blends well with the color of the pine.

DSC_0400

I loved playing the Christmas Pickle game as a child and I can’t wait to one day share this story with my children.

And I can’t wait to go home to Virginia and find that pickle!

DSC_0439

Are you familiar with the Christmas Pickle story? Do you have any fun ornament traditions like this? Please share! 🙂

• Reply suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] December 23, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Ooh, learning something new every day. I had no idea about the pickle ornament. Love how yours is camouflaged into the tree. 🙂

• Reply Lisa December 23, 2010 at 8:17 pm

I haven't heard of that, but it sounds like a lot of fun. I might have to start that next year.

Our fun tradition is the "Elf on the Shelf." It is for the kids. Santa sends an elf to our house every year in December to keep an eye on the kids. Every night he returns to the North Pole to report to Santa. He returns before dawn and sits down in a different place in the house. Every morning, the kids wake up and look for "Mr. Elf" (each household names their own elf). It is so much fun!

• Reply Melissa @ Running with needles December 23, 2010 at 8:33 pm

My family never his a pickle, but fiance's family does, and we love hunting for it. Last year there were 2 hidden pickles and I found them both!

• Reply Alex @ I Eat Asphalt December 23, 2010 at 10:42 pm

I always thought it was a Pennsylvania Dutch thing! We have a pickle on our family tree as well and it was one of the first ornaments I bought for my mini tree in college.

• Reply learningtocookeatandenjoydeliciousfood December 24, 2010 at 12:14 am

My family has never had the pickle. My parents are both originally from the UK, so we celebrate the holidays like the Brits do!! For example, my parents always had christmas eve bags for us that would have a few little gifts in them for us to open on xmas eve. My parents would say that the elfs brought them while we were at the candle light service at church. Then before we would go to bed we would put pillow cases at the end of the bed so that the reindeer could give us gifts at the end of our beds for when we woke up in the morning. Then finally we would leave cookies for santa by the tree and when we would wake up in the morning Santa would have eaten the cookies and milk and left us a note reminding us of all of the things we had to be greatful for that year!! 🙂
    I LOVE Christmas with my Family!! 🙂

• Reply Krista (kristastes) December 25, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I love the hidden pickle tradition 🙂 Merry xmas!!

• Reply patty O December 26, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Horray for the Christmas Pickle! I also like the idea of the Elf on the Shelf watching over the children in the house to insure that they behave. Leslie and Charles as you have children in the future, it would be fun to incorporate both the pickle and elf on the shelf as your Christmas Traditions. We also always had cookies and milk left out for Santa on a special plate too, which was fun for our children too!