My Marathon List

Since my first two marathons this past Fall, first in Chicago and then 3 weeks later in New York City, I would pretty much declare myself a marathon addict. I was afraid that after running one I would say “Never Again!” And while at a few points during the races I definitely felt that way, when I finished both marathons with a smile on my face, I was hooked!

April 170

I love the distance, I find it both challenging as well as possible. I love the medals and race bib and being able to call myself a marathoner. I use those words with great pride.

DSC_0490

This month I received the January 2011 Runner’s World which featured their 2011 Marathon Guide. It inspired me to share with you all the Marathon Guide of MY dreams, specifically which ones I want to run sometime in my lifetime.

First let me share with you my dream to run all the World Marathon Majors. Since this list includes two marathons I have already run (Chicago & NYC), I would love to complete the other three on the Majors list – Berlin, London and Boston. Seriously, who doesn’t want to run Boston?

I think it would be awesome to travel overseas and run both the London and Berlin marathons. And it would be amazing to climax my running at the Boston Marathon, but I am not sure that will happen anytime soon.

Other races on my Marathon List include:

The Oz Marathon – Seriously, how can I NOT run this marathon? I am pretty sure it was made for me! I want to follow the yellow brick road and run a marathon in OZ!  It is in Kansas, which is somewhere I have never been and it is sponsored by Garmin and the start and finish line is at their World Headquarters which is pretty cool.

Flying Pig Marathon (since I have heard such amazing things from Emily) – I love the fun Pig theme, the promise of 100,000 spectators, and the fact that at the end of the race you get to cross the “Finish Swine”. Also, all the pink makes me very happy.

The Marine Corps. Marathon has been on my mind for a while now and I am crossing my fingers that I get in for the race this Fall. Registration opens in February and I totally have it marked on my calendar!

I am excited to run a marathon in my hometown (I am from Northern Virginia, so this is as close as I can get to a marathon at home!), as well as run by the Jefferson and Lincoln Memorials and the Washington Monument. Also, who doesn’t want a 2nd lieutenant putting your race medal around your neck?

Races that I want to run on the West Coast include the Napa Valley Marathon, because it is flat, urban and who doesn’t want to run along the wineries and the grapes?

I also really want to run the Big Sur Marathon – the views just look out of this world. Big Sur is the largest rural marathon in the world, winding through redwoods, paralleling ranches, and offering stunning views of the Pacific Ocean. Sign me up!

I wish it wasn’t 3 weeks before my wedding – it is on the list for 2012 for sure!

Other fun races that are on my radar include the Odgen Marathon, because the views are supposed to be awesome..

the Steamtown Marathon, because it is where my dad is from and where my grandma lives…

And the Philadelphia Marathon, because how can I not run the marathon in the city that I live? This might me on my Fall 2011 radar!

It would also be a dream come true to run the original Athens Marathon because I feel its the birthplace of the marathon – and it’s held in Marathon, Greece!

What marathons or other races are on your to-run list? Have you run any of these races before? Thoughts? Opinions?

• Reply walktothemailbox.com January 18, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Leslie! Tons of those are on my list too. Can't wait to follow you accomplishing these. xoxo

• Reply walktothemailbox.com January 18, 2011 at 5:12 pm

PS let's do Kansas at the same time because I'm pretty sure I'll be going to that one alone. I don't know anyone in or near kansas!

• Reply Brie @ Brie Fit January 18, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I'll probably be running the half for the Oz Marathon again! You're welcome to crash in my guest room if you decide to make the trip. It is in the Kansas City suburbs, and KC is a great place for a weekend trip.

Spoiler: Garmin HQ is not as exciting as they make it sound. It's pretty much a giant office building!

• Reply runfatpat January 18, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I still want to do Bay to Breakers (yeah I know, it isn't a marathon) and run anything in Eugene, Oregon
    as for marathons London and that race they just did in Singapore with 70,000 runners
    (I'll have another close by one for you to add to your list soon too)

• Reply Katie January 18, 2011 at 5:37 pm

http://www.lochnessmarathon.com/event/2/baxters-loch-ness-marathon/ if you are ever in Scotland you are more than welcome to stay with me to run the loch ness marathon 🙂

• Reply gwenniepie.com January 18, 2011 at 6:03 pm

You GOTTA Do MCM. It is AHmazing. I thought about doing another marathon next but decided I want to do MCM again. I think I am going to wait for 2012, though I do have the reg date for 2011 on my calendar.

Awesome plans! I would love to do NYC and Chicago some day too!

• Reply Just Me January 18, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Such great goals! The big sur one sounds like it has the best views and will keep your mind off of 26 long miles.

My goal is a half this year.. baby steps 😉

• Reply April January 18, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Great list! The Flying Pig and Napa Valley are def on my list, but topping out my list is Maratona di Roma. Rome Marathon! Making it to Italy for that one in 2012 is my goal!

• Reply Allison @ Happy Tales Blog January 19, 2011 at 12:36 am

Hey doll! First off… I LOVE YOUR BLOG!So glad I found it, and met you through Fitblog! Anywho… My first marathon ever is going to be Flying Pig! I've heard the same great things as you… and I'm so excited to run it!

Can't wait to hear more about your marathon experiences 🙂

• Reply I Love Your Whole Face January 19, 2011 at 10:24 am

The Marine Corp was my first. It is so amazing!! Def sign for that one!!!

• Reply patty O January 19, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Wow, the list is impressive and all of them would be super to do! You know that I would love to cheer you on in all the races. Hey, too bad you can't run the Greece Marathon when you are on your honeymoon – ha, ha!

• Reply Bekah - runtrackmind January 20, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Love your Marathon List! I highly recommend the Flying Pig, it was my
    2nd marathon and was a perfect experience. I've never heard of the Oz and will have to check it out. I have an extensive marathon wish list that includes Dublin and Paris.