East Falls Flooding After Hurricane Irene

This morning Charles, Jackson and I headed out to check out the damage from Hurricane Irene in Philadelphia.

DSC_0732.JPG

We were all sporting our rain coats – even Jackson was rocking his!

DSC_0734.JPG

We were first greeted with massive flooding along Kelly Drive.

DSC_0735.JPG

Sadly, I believe this will get worse as the day goes on and the rain comes down from upstream.

DSC_0736.JPG

DSC_0738.JPG

Jackson was quite concerned with the conditions.

DSC_0742.JPG

DSC_0756.JPG

DSC_0763.JPG

DSC_0765.JPG

DSC_0770.JPG

Some poor cars didn’t make it out in time.

DSC_0774.JPG

DSC_0775.JPG

Jackson braved the Schuylkill waters which had washed up close to Ridge Avenue.

DSC_0778.JPG

What an adventurous little pup!

DSC_0786.JPG

DSC_0787.JPG

DSC_0789.JPG

I run along Kelly Drive everyday, its really crazy to see it like this!

DSC_0790.JPG

DSC_0791.JPG

DSC_0792.JPG

DSC_0793.JPG

DSC_0795.JPG

DSC_0797.JPG

We crossed over Falls Bridge to check out the roaring waters.

DSC_0798.JPG

DSC_0801.JPG

DSC_0802.JPG

And then headed out towards Wissahickon to see the waters flowing a few blocks down.

DSC_0804.JPG

DSC_0807.JPG

It was still pretty windy this morning. You could feel the storm in the air.

DSC_0809.JPG

DSC_0810.JPG

Wissahickon Creek was out of control. The waters were really rough.

DSC_0811.JPG

DSC_0812.JPG

I expect this to get worse as the day goes on as well.

DSC_0813.JPG

DSC_0814.JPG

People were watching the water show. It was very powerful.

DSC_0819.JPG
  DSC_0821.JPG

DSC_0828.JPG

DSC_0832.JPG

After checking out Wissahickon we headed back towards Kelly Drive and found that the water levels had risen again in the 20 minutes we were gone.

DSC_0835.JPG

DSC_0836.JPG

The water levels by this red car had clearly risen!

DSC_0837.JPG

DSC_0838.JPG

Man down for these car owners.

DSC_0839.JPG

It was quite a sight to see the River this high and rushing by this fiercely.

DSC_0840.JPG

DSC_0841.JPG

DSC_0842.JPG

Hopefully this will clear in the next day or two so I can run down Kelly Drive sooner than later!

DSC_0843.JPG

DSC_0845.JPG

At least we never lost power!

DSC_0848.JPG

• Reply Evan Thomas August 28, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Wow! Crazy to think I was running there just last weekend and see the change.

• Reply Amanda @ the beauty notebooks August 28, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Oh my goodness, that is crazy! I am really familiar with Kelly Drive since my aunt and uncle live fairly close to there. They should be doing ok, though. I can’t believe how high that water is!

By the way, absolutely loving Jackson’s raingear! So cute!

• Reply Krissie J August 28, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Those pics are insane! Jackson looks so cute in his little raincoat. What a brave pupper! I used to live in Manayunk and Germantown and really familiar with the East Falls section, too. It’s crazy to see all of that under water right now!

• Reply Alex @ I Eat Asphalt August 28, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I dont think the water ever got that high the five years I was there. Hope everyone is okay!

• Reply Jimmy August 28, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I used to live in a house with a back porch that overlooked the street with the red car on it. These pictures are both nostalgic and hilarious. Thanks!

• Reply amanda August 28, 2011 at 2:40 pm

it’s shocking to see it like that. flooded roads are a pain! we have some around me that aren’t looking to user friendly.

andddd…i usually don’t love an animal in clothes, but that raincoat on jackson is ADORABLE!

• Reply Megan August 28, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Oh my goodness – Jackson is BEYOND adorable in the rain jacket!!! What kind of dog is he? I’m still trying to convince my husband to get me a dog — 5 years with no luck. Ugh.

I’m glad that you were all safe during the hurricane – even despite the flooding!

• Reply crystal August 28, 2011 at 5:08 pm

oh man!!! I can’t believe all the flooding you guys had! We didn’t even get any rain in Charlotte- it was just windy! PS I love love love Jackson raincoat too cute!

• Reply Marisa Hunt August 28, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I was on Ridge today looking at Kelly Drive. This is crazy!

• Reply Brittany August 28, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Wow, the flooding is intense! I was thinking the James River here in Richmond would be flooded but we went to check it out this evening and it wasn’t bad. I hope the flooding goes down quickly.

I love Jackson’s rain coat!

• Reply Madeline - Greens and Jeans August 29, 2011 at 8:46 am

So crazy! We walked down there yesterday too and it’s amazing how much water was still standing! It sounds like a lot of it went down overnight though, thankfully!

• Reply Emily G. August 29, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Wow! I didn’t realize Philly got hit that bad. I thought it was just a few thunderstorms. Hopefully it will clear up!
    And I have to say – Jackson is looking mighty cute in that raincoat. I tried putting one on my little man and he wouldn’t budge. He hates clothes! lol

• Reply Allison August 29, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Woah- that’s a lotta water! You definitely got more action than we did… The few rain drops made a couple puddles 😛 It’s always hard to believe how different things can look immediately after a storm and a couple of days later when things settle…

• Reply Patty O August 30, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Kelly Drive looks like a ghost town! Deja vu from last fall – huh? Well, Jackson looks adorable in his yellow raincoat – you and Jackson are quite adorable in your rain gear – Boy, I miss not seeing the Brinkley clan!

• Reply Erica @ A Healthy Habit August 30, 2011 at 11:24 pm

your pictures are phenomenal! I live in central Jersey and can definitly relate to all of the hurricane damage. So sad to see your favorite spots hit so hard. PS Jackson looks so cute in the rain jacket!e

• Reply Kelly September 2, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Those pictures are nuts! I was out of town during the Hurricane and had no idea the river had flooded that much!

• Reply Ashley September 5, 2011 at 8:04 am

Whoa! Love when you post the rain pictures out and around town. Jackson is so brave! My yorkies would never set foot out there! But they have the same raincoat that they never get to sport!

• Reply Mark Petteruti September 27, 2011 at 10:51 am

What kind of dog is Jackson? Is he a Lhasa Apso?