What’s My Name Again?

Today, a mere 3 months after our wedding day, I gave up my maiden name and took my husband’s last name as my own.

I went from Leslie McDermott (check out that blonde hair! Ow Ow!)

DSC_0733.jpg

to Leslie Brinkley! Don’t I look so much older, wiser and married now?

DSC_0732.jpg

I wanted us both to change our last names to McBrinkley, because I didn’t want to give up the “Mc” in my last name – I love the “Mc” – but the hubs wasn’t having that! I ended up changing my middle name to my maiden last name to keep the “Mc” in there somewhere!

Now I have to get used to referring to myself with my new name and also signing things with my new name! Signing the B and the K in cursive is going to take some getting used too!

Did you or would you change your last name when you are married?

Would you make your maiden name your middle name?

I would love to hear how everyone else deals with the name changing fun!

**********************************************************************************************

Don’t forget to enter my Running Skirt Giveaway!

• Reply Jules August 23, 2011 at 7:55 pm

I did it… I didn’t keep my maiden name as my middle name because it’s Thomas, and I thought a) it seemed too masculine and b) Thomas is a common enough name it’s not likely to die out anytime soon. I will warn you, it’s been over a year since I’ve changed it, and I’m still finding things I need to change my name with… the older you are when you get married (I was 28) the longer the paper trail…

• Reply Amy August 23, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I use my maiden name as my middle name as well. I was never attached to my middle name and wanted to retain my maiden name in so e fashion in case I ever moved home and practiced law since it was a recognizable name in the area in which I grew up.

After having two kids and realizing that my brother will never have kids, I wish I had given my maiden name as my son’s middle name since it would sort of carryon the family name…

• Reply Allie @ The Constant Pursuit August 23, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I have been having this debate with the fiance (and others) quite a bit! It’s pretty common in academia for women to keep their maiden name, so I think I’m going to hyphenate or swap it in for my middle name (although I’m kind of attached to my middle name, so who knows!)

• Reply Amy August 23, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I just changed my last name. I have a brother who I hope will carry on my maiden name. I am using my maiden name and my new last name for work though. I’ve built up six years worth of contacts as me as my maiden name so I don’t want to sacrifice that.

• Reply Katy Widrick August 23, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I took my husband’s last name but kept my middle name (it was really special to me).

This was all pre-blogging and honestly…since I blog at my full name, and I’m on TV with my full name, I don’t know if I would have changed it publicly if I’d already built a brand on it.

Lucas says that the fact that I’m now known as “Widrick,” I can never divorce him 🙂

• Reply Dukebdc August 23, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I got married six months ago and am not planning to change my name. Partly it may be due to age (I am 33), partly because I’ve established myself in my career with my last name, and honestly, I like my whole name, and couldn’t imagine having to get rid of my unique maiden or fun middle names. And the cherry on the decision sundae is that I’m just plain lazy. 🙂 My husband luckily didn’t really object, especially once I asked if he would consider changing HIS name (a resounding ‘no!’ in case you were wondering). We’re a family either way, and I feel good about my decision.

• Reply Keelie (SweatEqualsSuccess) August 23, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I’ve known ever since I was a little girl that I’d never change my name! I like it too much! 🙂 Additionally, as an actor and dancer, your name is a part of your trademark. Fortunately my hubbers is (and always has been) cool with it.

P.S. You look great as both a blonde AND a brunette. Jealous!

• Reply Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs August 23, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I changed my last name and kept my middle name (which I love!). My maiden name is Greek and while it’s something I sometimes miss – I LOVE having an ordinary, easy to say and spell last name! Plus, I love that I am always “Wright.” Ha ha!

• Reply Allison August 23, 2011 at 11:45 pm

I got engaged last summer and we’re planning our wedding for fall 2012- I’ve thought about the last name topic before and plan to take his last name… I like the idea of using your maiden name as your new middle name but my current last name and my future last name don’t sound good together :/

• Reply Kait @ One Love Run August 24, 2011 at 12:28 am

i swear more people would probably change their name if it wasn’t for the whole process of it! its been 3 months and I still have been avoiding going to social security to get the whole thing started. maybe next week!

• Reply Cat August 24, 2011 at 7:45 am

I kept my middle name & changed my last name. I love my middle name. It’s passed down from my dad from his dad from his dad. For some reason, my mom did not like my older brother having it so he got skipped & they passed it down to me. Now my younger sister & brother have it as their middle name (it’s a boy’s name but can be gender neutral) as well. Whenever my husband & I have children, I hope to pass this middle name to them.

• Reply Amanda @ Cucina Amanda August 24, 2011 at 8:34 am

After this Saturday, I’m dropping my maiden name permanently. As much as I love it, it’s difficult to pronounce and spell. I would love to make it my middle name, but my initials would be really, really terrible! The only place I plan to keep my maiden name is at my undergraduate alma mater!

• Reply Alex T. August 24, 2011 at 8:42 am

I did the same as you. I made Russo made middle name. So sad to lose my Italian last name! sniff sniff

• Reply Hope August 24, 2011 at 8:43 am

I’m getting married next August and I am planning on changing my maiden name most definitely. I don’t have good associations with my last name and I would love to change it so that my marriage will feel complete. 🙂

• Reply Lizzy @ runbakerace August 24, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I got married in March and just changed my last name recently. I also went with my maiden name as my middle name. It’s definitely taking some getting used too.

• Reply Krista (kristastes) August 24, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I love my last name way too much to give it up! But it doesn’t look like I’m getting married anytime soon so I’m in the clear for now on that whole topic. 🙂 I like brinkley for your new last name, it fits!!

• Reply Jacqui August 24, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I changed my name to my husbands too. I agree the hardest part was changing my signature!!

• Reply Patty O August 24, 2011 at 4:41 pm

You do look wiser and more mature! That’s a good feeling – right? Yes, I kept my maiden name as my middle name as well! Did you ever think about hyphenating your name – Leslie McDermott-Brinkley?

• Reply Paige @ Running Around Normal August 24, 2011 at 9:21 pm

That is SO cool you changed your middle name to your maiden name! Very creative of you:)
    I don’t like my maiden name or my married name…so I’m just stuck, lol

• Reply Joy August 25, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Been married for almost 4 years, and never changed my name and never will! Mostly on principle. Plus, DH’s name is way harder to spell and people almost never get it right on their own, whereas mine is easy. I did suggest that we could both take a new shared last name (kinda like your McBrinkley idea), but he totally blew off that idea. I think this is still a somewhat sore topic in our relationship. lol

• Reply Cristina August 25, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I changed my name when i got married. I too, use my maiden name as my middle name. I didn’t have a middle name before so that was more strange to get used to than the new last name. weird, huh? The process was super quick and simple! I hope you have the same luck because I have heard horror stories.