Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon 2011 Race Recap

…also known as my first 20 miler this marathon training season! It feels amazing to say that I ran 20 miles this morning – I feel very hardcore.

I started off my day waking up at 5:40 am, getting ready to pound the pavement for the next 3 hours or so. After dressing and feeding myself I headed out the door at 6:30 with the goal of running 7 miles before the start of the race at 8:00am. It was lovely to go outside and feel the cool breeze – perfect race weather. It was also lovely to find that I pretty much had all of Kelly Drive to myself. On any other normal weekend day this place would be packed with runners and bikers, but today they were all down at the Art Museum for the start of the race!

IMG_0654.JPG

After heading down Kelly Drive past Boathouse Row I eventually met up with Lauren who had similar plans as I did as it was a 20 miler day for both of us. We headed down the Schuylkill Banks and enjoyed the beautiful morning while crossing a few miles off our list for the day.

IMG_0657.JPG

Before I knew it my 7 miles pre race were over and done with and it was time to get into my corral for the race!

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

I was feeling fabulous before the race – no IT pain at all – i was excited to conquer 20 miles!

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0661.JPG

My goal for the race was to end feeling so fabulous that I could get a beer from the beer garden. Not a bad goal after a 20 mile run, am I right? You got to have something to look forward too!

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

Before we knew it, just a little bit after 8:00 we were crossing the Start Line heading into the city.

IMG_0664.JPG

I was excited to run a new course and running on city streets is always fun.

IMG_0666.JPG

Lauren and I were all smiles headed out!

6160302517_86d6292e81.jpg

But the course in the city was a quick in and out and before I knew it, we were heading back towards Kelly Drive to run the loop around the river.

IMG_0669.JPG

By this point the runners had thinned out which was nice – so there was less dodging in and out between runners.

IMG_0670.JPG

Lauren and I were feeling fabulous and had already run a Half Marathon at this point!

IMG_0672.JPG

This part of the race coarse is tried and true in my training log but at least I knew what to expect regarding the loop.

IMG_0673.JPG

Eventually we made our way up to Falls Bridge where Charles was waiting for us to cheer us on!

DSC_0769.JPG

Charles is always the best Superfan.

DSC_0772.JPG

The second half of the loop – the last 5 miles were tough on my legs. Everything got really tight and heavy – it was very sore and uncomfortable but I had some packets of soothing gel in my camelbak that I stopped and applied and that helped ease the pain somewhat.

IMG_0675.jpg

I think running 20 miles in any capacity is going to end in some soreness – but those last 5 were tough for me. Eventually I saw the city skyline within my reach and I knew the finish line was right around the corner so I pushed through and finished the race.

IMG_0676.JPG

It was an awesome feeling crossing the finish line with 20 miles under my belt. It was even more awesome to learn I had a special visitor waiting for me.

DSC_0788.JPG

Jackson came down to the Finish Line to celebrate my 20 miler.

DSC_0805.JPG

All in all it was a really great training run. I finished my 20 miles around 3:15 which I am pretty happy with.

DSC_0810.JPG

And I got a new pretty medal to add to my collection.

DSC_0820.JPG

Have you ever run a Rock ‘n’ Roll race?

DSC_0821.JPG

• Reply Shanae September 18, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I ran this morning and was also in corral 5. Perfect weather, to boot. I enjoyed the race, I only wish it didn’t include the loop. It’s such a common route for Philly runners that we get sick of it, lol.

• Reply Ashley September 18, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Great recap! Congrats on a great race! My first 1/2 and first RNR will be in Savannah in t-minus 7wks!

• Reply Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs September 18, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Awesome job! I ran 20 today too (umm – about 11 minutes slower than you – hee) and it was killer. I can’t imagine running 6.2 more miles – but I guess it’s gonna happen!! Oh and what a gorgeous day.

• Reply Madeline - Greens and Jeans September 19, 2011 at 7:03 am

Congrats on a great long run and race! The weather was perfect for you guys!

• Reply Ali @ Ali Runs September 19, 2011 at 8:08 am

Awesome job on the 20 miler! I always think mixing long runs and races does such a good job of breaking up the mileage. Plus now you have a cool medal to add to your collection- that doesn’t happen for just a regular 20 mile run. 🙂

• Reply Langston September 19, 2011 at 9:34 am

Congrats on your 20 miler.
    I read a lot of runner blogs and your blog is by far my favorite. I love the level of detail you use in your race recaps. The pics are great also.

I’ve run 7 Rock n Roll events. Usually in VA Beach, VA.
    You should try the RnR Va Beach 1/2 next year. Great weather and it’s on the beach.
    Instant ice bath

• Reply Nicole Rodriguez (@Nicole2112) September 19, 2011 at 10:28 am

Way to go!! Wow! You looked awesome at the end.

Did you get your beer? 🙂

• Reply Carly (Swim, Run, Om) September 19, 2011 at 10:35 am

Great recap … I love all of the pictures! Jackson’s expression is priceless. He looks so impressed with the medal!

• Reply Tara @ texasrunnergirl.com September 19, 2011 at 10:38 am

I’ve run one Rock n Roll half so far, Dallas in March. I’m currently prepping for the San Antonio Rock n Roll in November.

Congrats on the 20 miler! Mine’s coming up soon, anxious! Jealous you got to mix yours with a race.

• Reply Teeny Perez September 19, 2011 at 2:13 pm

WOW! That’s awesome. I was going to do the Vegas Rock and Roll but since I live in Florida and it was going to be my 1st long race, I opted for The Space Coast Half Marathon.”

Was the music inspiring? And, is it normal to do a 7 mile warm up before? That sounds pretty extreme!

• Reply Kelley September 19, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Congrats!! It was smart doing those 7 miles before the race. Can you imagine crossing the finish line and then having to ADD 7 more? That would be torture. 🙂 Nicely done!

• Reply Patty O September 19, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Congrats to you and your buddy Lauren! Great job! Thanks to the photographer for the awesome photos too and his assistant, Jackson! You gotta love those Jersey Boys…

• Reply Laura September 20, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Awesome job on the race and the rest of your run! You are going to kick some marathon butt! Could you provide some hotel recommendations for the Philadelphia marathon that would be a good place in terms of location and easy travel to the start to stay?

• Reply Kait September 20, 2011 at 11:46 pm

the course looked so fun! and what a great fall day. I haven’t done a Rock n Roll race yet – they are so expensive! But I think I may give in and do Phoenix in January!

• Reply stopzilla-scam November 22, 2011 at 9:55 am

�The major difference between the big shot and the little shot is the big shot is just a little shot who kept on shooting.� � Zig Ziglar