Tommy Gunns BBQ

Charles & I have a new favorite BBQ joint –

Tommy Gunns American Barbecue!

photo-241.JPG

We have been here once before but it has really impressed me during our past two visits and I wanted to share our new find with you!

photo-242.JPG

photo-243.JPG

It’s located in a tiny spot in between Manayunk and East Falls in Philadelphia – right at the entrance for the Wissahickon Trail.

photo-244.JPG

I ordered the Texas BBQ Beef – it’s a slow smoked beef sliced thin and served on an Amoroso roll with the Tommy Gunn’s original BBQ sauce. The pork and beef here is cooked “low & slow” for over 12 hours! Yum!

photo-245.JPG

I got my sandwich with a “sloppier” of slaw. It is seriously amazing!

photo-246.JPG

Charles got the ribs which he devoured!

photo-249.JPG

We also got another side order of the Carolina Classic Slaw which is simply amazing.

photo-248.JPG

I am so excited to have found such an amazing BBQ joint. You can be sure we will be back for more BBQ goodness!

Are you a BBQ lover? What’s your favorite part of a BBQ meal?

For more information on Tommy Gunns American BBQ:

4901 Ridge Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19128

(215) 508-1030

• Reply Brenna December 12, 2011 at 7:27 pm

That is so funny – I just met the owners of Tommy Gunns today at a trade show. They will be so happy to see this!

• Reply Michael Usowski December 12, 2011 at 10:40 pm

You’re right Brenna, we are super-duper happy! Leslie, thank you for your thoughts and amazing photos. Hope to meet you sometime!

• Reply GrabAnApple December 12, 2011 at 7:57 pm

You should have gone a little further for the best BBQ in Philly. Deke’s, affectionately referred to regulars as “The Garage” is hands-down the best bbq place in the city. When I became a vegetarian I thought bbq was one thing I’d never get back. Not so. Deke’s has dishes that will satisfy meat eaters and veggies a like. Heads up, it’s only open Thursdays-Sundays, but it’s definitely worth the trip!

• Reply Rebecca @ Runner with an Appetite December 12, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I run by this place all the time and I have always been curious if it is good. I will definitely have to go!

• Reply Allison December 13, 2011 at 9:23 am

Finger licking goodness 😛 I haven’t had any “really good” BBQ in a while, but we love TJ’s all-natural BBQ sauce… It’s so thick! Cabbage is one of my favorite salad mix-ins [great crunchiness]!

• Reply Juliet December 13, 2011 at 1:28 pm

My husband and I used to live in East Falls, and moved down to South Florida in 2009. We still talk about how much we miss Tommy Gunns!

• Reply Patty O December 13, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I think the two guys in my family would love to try Tommy Gunns sometime!
    Thanks for the info, I will pass it on for my son’s next visit to Philly!