Yesterday for Easter my NJ family decided to hold an afternoon brunch. We all touched base earlier in the week about what we would be making – I asked all my lovely friends on twitter for brunch suggestions and ended up finding a fabulous recipe for Cinnamon French Toast Muffins.
Done & done.
I just knew these would be the perfect, sweet treat to bring to Easter brunch – I couldn’t wait to make them and I was even more excited when they turned out so perfect. If you are looking for an awesome muffin recipe, these babies are it!
Cinnamon French Toast Muffins Recipe
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. For French Toast topping: Combine – 3 tablespoons milk, 1 slightly beaten egg, 6 slices bread cut into cubes (I used challah), 1/2 tsp. cinnamon – in a bowl and set aside.
3. For muffins: Combine – 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup melted butter, 1 slightly beaten egg, and 1 tsp vanilla extract – in a medium bowl and set aside
4. Combine – 3/4 cup brown sugar, 2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt – in larger bowl.
5. Bring together milk mixture and the flour mixture in the large bowl and stir – don’t over mix.
6. Spoon batter into a lined 12 cup muffin pan.
7. Drop French toast topping evenly over batter; pressing down slightly as the batter will expand
8. Bake 20-25 minutes – keep an eye on them so the French Toast topping doesn’t burn.
9. When muffins are finished baking, immediately brush the topping with maple syrup.
10. Combine sugar and cinnamon in small bowl. Sprinkle over glazed muffins.
11. Cool 5 minutes; Serve warm.