Our First Week with a Newborn

I seriously can’t believe our little man is already ONE week old!

Time flies when you are having fun {and not getting much sleep!}

1 week

Actually, getting sleep hasn’t been too bad, I can’t really complain – Brooks had 2 nights that were a little challenging but other than that he has been such an awesome, easy-going baby {knock on wood}. Charles & I are having a blast getting to know our little guy, he gets more alert, opening his eyes a bit more each day and little bits of his personality have started to shine through.

Moses Basket

It’s hard to really prepare for what life will be like post-pregnancy, once it was time for our little bundle of joy to come home with us. Of course I thought about it, what it would be like and how our lives would be changed, but until it’s time to take him home with you, its hard to really know what to expect.

Today Baby Brooks is 9 days old, but we took him home from the hospital with us last Friday – so he has been home with us exactly one week. I wanted to share with you some of my thoughts on our first week with a newborn.

***********************

1- I am obsessed with my baby. I seriously can’t take my eyes off the little guy. Awake, asleep, crying, staring back at me – I can’t get enough. And when he sneezes – that’s literally my favorite thing in the entire world. He makes the most perfect AHchoo sound, and I die a little bit each time he sneezes because of his cuteness. Seriously.

Nap

2 – Breastfeeding is hard. Again, another thing you can’t really prepare for until you are in the moment when you are actually ready to do it. Sure, I went to breastfeeding class, read some books, did my research, but until my baby was handed to me in the delivery room to feed for the first time, I didn’t really know what the hell I was doing.

I worked with some lactation consultants in the hospital & have attended a local breastfeeding support group in my area to help answer some questions & concerns {and to meet other new moms!} and everything is going well, but breastfeeding is hard. Being the sole food provider for my little man, 24/7 is a lot to handle – It’s something I want to do but I didn’t really realize how all-consuming it would be. The first week was pretty rough and things are getting a little easier each day but still, it’s not easy.

Naptime

3. It’s a Numbers Game – Our life currently revolves around so many numbers the first week – we have been tracking each feeding, each diaper change and his weight like crazy people. The first week is all about hitting that certain amount of wet + poopy diapers, feeding a certain amount of times each day and making sure he is gaining 1 oz. a day. I have been trying out a few different apps for tracking all this but if you have any favorites you love, please let me know!

Snow Suit

4. I miss sleep – Real sleep for me is a thing of the past. Sadly, I wasn’t able to really stock up on it during the last few weeks of my pregnancy because I was pretty uncomfortable but having a newborn makes me wish I stocked up on some more sleep. Now that Brooks is here, it’s hard for me to get some real sleep – Aside from waking up every 2-3 hours for nursing, I find myself waking up just to check on him, make sure he is ok and watch him sleep.

What seems to be working for us this past week is that I have been sneaking up to bed around 9 or so after a feeding to get an hour or two of sleep in, without the baby in the room, while Charles hangs out with Brooks downstairs. This way if Brooks is fussy or up a lot during the night, at least I have an hour or two of sleep in my pocket!

Brooks-asaurus

5. Soak Up Every Moment – I think it goes without saying that I have been doing my best to soak up every single moment with Brooks. We have experienced so many firsts already this week with the little guy and there are so many more firsts to experience together in the future – I keep reminding myself to stop and soak up each moment, because even though Brooks is only 9 days old, he is still growing up so fast, right before my very eyes!

Fuzzy Blanket

It’s hard to really put into words how amazing our first week together as a new family has been – I can’t describe the feeling, its been a bit of a blur at times but also some of the most incredible moments that I will remember forever.

Here are a few more photos from our first week together – I am planning on sharing Brooks’ birth story next week, so stay tuned & follow along on Instagram for more baby updates! 🙂

Nap Love

Disclaimer – Brooks does not sleep in bed with us,

Charles snuck this photo during some morning cuddle time

with my boys

Jackson & Brooks’ first meet & greet

Brothers

balloons from  family friends

Its A Boy

finally have his name up in the nursery

Brooks

i’m obsessed with kissing & smelling my baby.

Kisses

baby fingers.

fingers1 week old

• Reply ilana February 7, 2014 at 4:41 pm

So sweet!! I love this post. Keep em coming. BTW, did your heartburn/reflux ease up since birth? Hope so. Mine has been getting worse (25 weeks). 😉

• Reply Wiggs February 7, 2014 at 5:01 pm

I really love Baby Connect for tracking everything. We put it on both of our phones so that we could both add to her info. I love newborn sneezes too – they remind you that they’re humans after all. 🙂 I’m glad you had such an awesome first week. For me, the first two weeks were crazy and I pretty much lost my mind from hormone withdrawal – but that passed and now I get to watch this little miracle every day. And don’t worry, breastfeeding gets easier! I found that putting breastmilk on my nips and airing them out after every feedings really helped. In fact, I sleep topless now for convenience and to let them breathe.

• Reply Katrina February 7, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Congrats on surviving your first week with Brooks! I have been following your blog for some time and loved all your weekly updates as I was due on 1/26 with our first baby. Our little girl Claire ended up arriving a week early on 1/20! Looking forward to more baby posts!!

• Reply Kelley February 7, 2014 at 7:01 pm

He’s a cutie! You’re doing a great job! Your pictures are so sweet. Breastfeeding does get easier, faster and less painful. For me, it got better around 3 weeks. Knowing there is light at the end of the tunnel helped me get through it. Those first weeks are a whirlwind, glad you’re soaking it in!

• Reply Patty O February 7, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Welcome to Motherhood and Fatherhood! You both are doing an amazing job and Brooks looks so content! You have now experience a Mother’s Love!

• Reply lisa February 7, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Absolutely adorable. Congrats again!!

• Reply Casey @ Salted Plates February 7, 2014 at 7:41 pm

congratulations to you all! please reach out if you need anything, I am a fairmount neighbor. I’m sure the challenges of being new parents with all the crazy weather are hard. He is beautiful!

• Reply Desiree February 8, 2014 at 9:12 am

Try Baby Connect. It syncs between phones so you and your husband can both enter info re diapers, feeds, sleep, etc. we still use it now to track drop off and pick ups at the babysitters.

Nursing gets easier, it’ll take a good 4 to 6 weeks until you really get it, so keep it up!

And congratulations again, he is precious!

• Reply Heidi @ Idlehide February 8, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Love this. I was waiting on IG for your news because we were due a day apart:) I ended up having Tate on Jan 24th. I agree with almost everything in this post, I feel like I could post it on my blog and it would feel like I wrote it lol. I can’t stop staring at him either, it’s amazing how much you love them. He’s 2 weeks old now and I find myself a little sad that those 2 weeks have gone by s fast!
    Umm, breastfeeding. Yeah, it’s totally difficult, huh? It’s a hard pill to swallow when your Dr. tells you that you have to supplement with formula because he’s not getting enough nutrients and is losing more weight:( He still gets my milk, but not 100% of the time. We’ve got this!

• Reply Stacey February 10, 2014 at 8:34 am

What a precious baby! Glad you are soaking him in and enjoying your time as a family of three (plus Jackson!).

Enjoy…

• Reply Amber at Love, Laugh, Live Well February 10, 2014 at 2:41 pm

I LOVE this post and he is absolutely adorable…and all your points are true. Breastfeeding does get easier…it just takes time and a LOT of patience and practice. If you have any questions let me know. There are a few items that I think are a MUST for getting that first few weeks down.

How is Jackson handling the addition of a baby?