My Mom’s Wedding Dress Into My Son’s Christening Gown

Today I wanted to share with you a little fun fact about Brooks’ christening gown from his Baptism this past weekend.

It was once my mom’s wedding gown!
Coming out of the church

When I first got engaged, I tried on my mom’s wedding dress. Sadly I am about 3 inches taller than my mom, so the dress was a little short for me. Also, while she had the dress preserved after her wedding, 35+ years in a box had turned it a bit more ivory than I wanted to wear on my wedding day – but my mom & I both knew we wanted to do something special with her dress one day.

Mom- Wedding

Luckily for me, this isn’t my first time making over a wedding gown into something new! I previously altered my wedding dress into a new little black dress I can wear again & again! It was fun to turn my mom’s dress from her big day into something new as well!

Mr & Mrs

We did a little research and worked with the same dress designer who reworked my wedding dress to transform my mom’s wedding dress into my son’s christening gown. I’m so happy with how it turned out – it’s so nice to think about her dress from 1978 being a part of Brooks’ baptism today – almost 36 years later!

Wedding Dress Then & Now

The seamstress we worked with did an amazing job. The gown turned out beautifully and she even included a matching bib & bonnet. We didn’t end up using the bonnet during the ceremony, because it was a little too girly for my taste but it’s so nice to have all three matching pieces.

Front Back Baptism Gown

I love how traditional it turned out, and obviously we gave it a little manly spin to it with the suit & baby converse underneath! Brooks seemed to enjoy it too, it was like a big tent over his body, he just kept kicking & squirming in it, I’m sure he liked how the silk felt on his body too!

Baptismal GownBaptism Gown Up Close

We definitely plan on keeping this christening gown in the family  – it’s such a beautiful piece with a great story behind it – I can’t wait to see who else gets to be baptized in it!

Christening Gown

****************

What’s the best thing you’ve ever seen done with a wedding dress?

****************

• Reply Monique April 8, 2014 at 1:11 pm

that is really beautiful and sentimental.

• Reply Juliene seftick April 8, 2014 at 1:51 pm

I had my wedding dress turned into a christening ensemble for my son. My wedding dress wasn’t floor length and was plain cream satin with a beaded belt. I knew the probability of having a daughter wear it was slim so I had my mother in law make it into a little romper. It turned out beautifully and it something I will keep forever, she also kept as much fabric as she could so that someday if I have a daughter we can sew a little piece into her dress or make a handkerchief

• Reply Mary Margaret Thorne April 8, 2014 at 3:44 pm

When I first saw the pictures of the christening gown I couldn’t believe how beautiful and vintage it looked. Now knowing the story behind it makes it even more amazing. What a wonderful idea!

• Reply Kelley April 8, 2014 at 5:07 pm

That’s awesome! What a great idea! It came out so nice! I love sentimental things like that.

• Reply DoubleM April 8, 2014 at 6:16 pm

What a wonderful use of your mother’s wedding dress! Brooks looked like a doll in it. And your mother hasn’t changed very much in 35+ years. It was a truly special outfit for his Christening.

• Reply Patty O April 8, 2014 at 7:13 pm

I am thrilled that the transformation turned out so beautifully. I hope that all future grandchildren will be baptized in this special piece and that someday Brooks will use this same gown for his children. Can’t wait to have his initials, birthdate and baptism date added to the slip. Brooks photos in the gown are priceless!

• Reply Rebecca @Strength and Sunshine April 8, 2014 at 7:24 pm