No Shoes – Baby on the Loose

shoes off

So yesterday we did something a little different.

Our house became a shoe-free zone.

Ok, ok. Not entirely shoe-free. I still have my entire closet full of my favorite footwear. But we decided that we were no longer going to allow shoes to be worn in our home. From now on, you have to take your shoes off at the front door!

better pair

This has been something I have been thinking about for a while now. Each week, Brooks is becoming more mobile – and when I think of where my shoes have been all around the streets of Philadelphia & then wearing those shoes all around my house where my baby is crawling around all day -> Something doesn’t feel right.

So we decided to make a little change.

little fingers

Yesterday had a carpet cleaning service come and steam clean all the carpets in our house – on the second floor, third floor & basement, along with the corresponding hallways and stairs. This was something we honestly should have done ages ago. Something I sort of wish we did when we bought the house, a year ago – but c’est la vie.

{I KNOW! I still owe you a house tour. If you can believe me, I took the photos for the tour post, just need to find the time to write the post! Stay tuned!}

please remove your shoes

The timing for this made a lot of sense for us, because Brooks is now all over the floor and we want to make that a clean & safe spot for him to hang out.

We are still working out a few kinks -> We recently set up a bench by the door with storage for our shoes. It’s now a nice little spot for us to sit & take off our shoes when we come and go. I plan to buy some shoe covers/no slip grip socks to have on hand for guests/workers as well. We have also relegated the stroller to a little spot right by the door so we aren’t slopping dirty wheels through the house as we were before. And I’m thinking about wiping Jackson’s paws off after walks too, but I’m not sure how crazy I’ll get with that.

choices

I always vacuum a few times a week and swiffer the floor in the kitchen and living room most nights {hello baby led weaning & the mess that goes along with it!} but I think taking off the shoes at the door will keep so much extra dirt and dust out of the house, which will save me some cleaning time {and save our hardwood floors as well!} Word on the street is that it’s also supposed to be helpful with allergies, something that I’ve always struggled with, so I’m excited about that too.

mahalo

I read a few articles on the whole “No Shoes in the House” rule and it’s really interesting to see what people have to say. Apparently you either love it or hate it!

Would love to know YOUR thoughts!

How do YOU feel about the No Shoes in the House rule?

Do you take your shoes off at the door?

little hands

Disclaimer: I’m not judging anyone who does things differently, this is just something we are going to try to see if it make sense for us at this point in our lives. Shoes or no shoes! It’s all good!

All photos from this post were found on this Pinterest page! Some are even actual signs on Etsy you can purchase! Check it out!

• Reply Michele October 23, 2014 at 9:55 am

Interesting- I honestly didn’t know people wore shoes inside their homes! I’ve always thought that homes were just naturally shoe free zones. Good luck with it though, I’m sure it will make your house feel cleaner!

• Reply Tiffany October 23, 2014 at 9:58 am

When our older daughter was about that same age, we did the same thing and haven’t looked back! We do it ourselves, but I actually don’t make guests take off their shoes. We don’t have guests all that often and I don’t want to make them uncomfortable (i.e. uh oh, my socks have holes or my feet look gross type situations!). It’s so much easier to keep the floors clean and makes me feel much better about little ones crawling around or sitting on the floor.

• Reply AKadatz October 23, 2014 at 10:59 am

I’m married to a shoes off inside guy. He’ll love those signs…I’m checking out Etsy!

• Reply Jessica@TWB October 23, 2014 at 12:12 pm

If workers are on ladders it’s actually a safety hazard to wear the shoe covers. Just putting in my construction/engineering two cents. No shoes is where it’s at!

• Reply ericr November 1, 2015 at 8:59 am

Uh no, not doing work in someone home shoeless. You put down plastic to protect the floors or suck it up and deal with it.

• Reply Jessica October 23, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Ever since my trip to South Korea in 2005, I have been a strong believer in no shoes in the house. Now, especially with our 11 mo. old, I have everyone take their shoes off. My son’s daycare requires all parents to take their shoes off in the newborn and crawler rooms for that very reason – kids hands touch the floor.

• Reply Gina October 23, 2014 at 3:55 pm

I really like this idea. I often think about that- how gross floors are. I cringe when I see kids on public floors. Shoes off in the house is something I plan on doing at that point in my life (the introduction of little ones) and will probably stick with it. I would also expect the same of guests, but love the idea of providing them something to wear to avoid those embarrassing situations. Great post!

• Reply Patty O October 23, 2014 at 4:48 pm

I’m all for no shoes in the house too! Good for you and I’ll remember to pack my shoe socks when I visit!

• Reply Jamie October 23, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Here in Canada pretty much everyone takes off their shoes in the house.

• Reply Erin October 23, 2014 at 9:41 pm

I was going tonsay the same as Jamie. I guess it is a Canadian thing! Maybe it is because of our less than ideal weather many months of the year, but shoes off is the standard here. I never realized that people did it differently elsewhere. Ick!

• Reply Krista October 24, 2014 at 10:53 am

I’m with Michele- I didn’t know people wore their shoes inside houses anywhere. Here in the Midwest, it seems to be an unspoken rule to take them off- maybe because of our winters and boots and snow/mud. Sometimes people will bring their own slippers/indoor shoes with to other homes (my hubby does). I think you will like your new rule!