On Baby #2

Thank you so much for all your kind words of congratulations from our big news yesterday! Charles, Brooks, Jackson & I couldn’t be more pumped!  My FacebookInstagram & Twitter feeds were buzzing all day with excitement!

I had been waiting to share our news for SO.LONG so it was so nice to be able to do that yesterday! The news it out and after sharing it publicly, it truly made everything more real! Today I wanted to share with you some of the details for baby #2!

laugh

* How It All Began *

So since I had been exclusively nursing until Brooks was 13 months old I never really got my cycle back 100%. I only had one “real” cycle, which was in December – which turned out to be baby month. Yes we were trying to get pregnant {it’s amazing how many people ask that question} and because I had irregular cycles before getting pregnant with Brooks, we did not really know how long it would take to get pregnant again. I had heard that after giving birth & when stopping nursing you can be “extra fertile” which could have been the case with us because we were able to get pregnant right away for baby #2! When I first found out it was a bit of a shock for me for sure because it happened so quick! We always wanted kids close together and that is exactly what we will be getting! Brooks will be 20 months old when his little brother or sister makes his/her appearance. Two under two – should be interesting!

baby laugh

* How I Told Charles *

We were in Naples when I was supposed to be getting my cycle and when I was late I didn’t think much of it because I had only had one period in the past year, so I wasn’t expecting to be regular right away. When we got back from Florida I was a week late and thought that maybe I should take a test. I waited until Charles went to work and Brooks and I ventured out to CVS to pick up some pregnancy tests. I went home, took a test & it turned positive in literally 5 seconds. I took another test & same thing. So I packed Brooks up, we headed to the store and I bought Brooks this Big Brother shirt.

When Charles got home from work Brooks & I were playing upstairs & I had him in his shirt. Charles came up the stairs and Brooks crawled towards him & Charles saw right away the message. He was so excited! And it was so much fun that Brooks was able to share in the telling!

bigBro

* How We Told The Family *

We used the famous Big Brother shirt to tell my parents, my in-laws and our siblings. Everyone was getting together for Brooks’ big first birthday weekend, we used that weekend as the perfect opportunity to tell our immediate family. Everyone was shocked and surprised and so excited for us and for Brooks too! He’s going to be the best big brother!

We told most of Charles’ extended family when we were in Chile, since I wouldn’t be drinking or staying out late. It was sort of obvious the first day when everyone got drinks to toast our trip and I got water. Wah Wah.

* First Trimester Recap – Coming Soon! *

I’m working on a 3 Month pregnancy post update where I will answer more questions on how the past three months have been & more baby details!

Please let me know if you have any specific questions for me & I will answer them in my next baby post!

*********************

• Reply Nikki March 10, 2015 at 1:44 pm

What week are you at? Will you be announcing the gender right away on the blog when you find out? Do you have any names picked out? Symptoms different this time around?

• Reply Emily March 10, 2015 at 1:51 pm

Congrats! You had me fooled with the wine tasting pics in Chile. What will your living arrangements be like…do you have 3 bedrooms?

• Reply Sara March 10, 2015 at 1:52 pm

This is so exciting! I love the big brother t-shirt! Congrats!

• Reply Sara March 10, 2015 at 1:54 pm

P.S. Did you know Stitch Fix now has a maternity line? I can’t wait to get my first order.

• Reply Christina @ Embracing Simple March 10, 2015 at 2:24 pm

How it is taking care of a younger toddler while dealing with first trimester nausea (unless you are one of the fortunate ones 😉 ) and exhaustion? Super curious how that compares to being pregnant with your first. Good future knowledge for me!

• Reply Liz M March 10, 2015 at 3:03 pm

Are you finding out the gender? We didn’t find out with either of my kids. Same exact pregnancy and had a boy first and girl second, so you never know! I was convinced my daughter was another boy, super duper surprised!!!

• Reply Patty O March 10, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Loved your recap – I was wondering how that all came about! Great knowledge for the future? Looking forward to all the craziness in September!!!

• Reply Kiersten March 10, 2015 at 3:33 pm

So so so excited for you!!!! I can’t wait to follow this pregnancy – cheers to a healthy baby and maybe some pink?! #teamgirl

• Reply Lauren March 10, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Hi! First off, huge congratulations! So exciting you are expecting #2. I started reading your blog when you were pregnant with Brooks and I was expecting too. I think I was about 8 weeks behind you and loved comparing our baby bumps. Ha, sorry if that sounds crazy. Anyway, I am actually expecting #2 as well and mine will only be 14 months apart. Yikes!! Definitely a little scare and exciting at the same time – I am due in May! Anyway, wanted to let you know there is a Facebook group for mom’s with kids close in age (<24 months). It is called crazy close kids. If you aren't already member I would definitely join and if you need an invite please let me know. Definitely the nicest and non judgmental moms group I am a member of and think you will enjoy being a member of it too. Hope you are feeling great!

• Reply Leslie March 10, 2015 at 6:08 pm

Lauren – Thanks so much for the FB group heads up. I had no idea about it, but its something I totally need to be a part of! I just requested membership to join! I’ll let you know if I need an invite! Thank you so much!

• Reply Kathryn R. March 10, 2015 at 6:30 pm

Congratulations!!! Do you plan on nursing for this baby as well? What are you going to do differently as far as exercise, eating healthy, etc?

• Reply Jenny March 10, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Congrats!!! I’ve been following your blog for a while as I’m a fellow Philly girl and have a little boy who is just a few days apart from Brooks. I am also due with #2 this fall. It will be crazy, but crazy fun too 🙂 Looking forward to reading your updates along the way. Also – if you ever want to come running, a group of us meet Tues/Thurs along the Schuylkill at 8AM. If you join the FB group “Moms Run This Town: Center City Philly” you can see all the info.

• Reply Kay @ goaloflosing.com March 10, 2015 at 8:09 pm

Congrats again! Have you noticed any similarities in your first trimester now from your first trimester with Brooks?

• Reply Kat March 11, 2015 at 4:40 pm

Wow, congrats! What an exciting time 🙂 It seems so many people in my life (and my internet life haha) are getting pregnant lately. I love it!

I have a personal question, so feel free not to answer if it’s too much for you!
    My son is a little older than Brooks- he will be 14 months on the 15th. I am still nursing him (and I pump while I’m at work). He nurses about 4 times a day and I still haven’t gotten my period even though I thought I would by now.
    My husband and I would like to start trying for Baby #2 in late spring, early summer. My question is- did you get pregnant while you were still nursing, or did it take stopping completely for you to get pregnant? Did your period return once you stopped nursing? I know you said you only had one cycle since having Brooks- was that after you stopped nursing?
    I’m torn because I don’t want to abruptly stop breastfeeding my son but I would like my period to come back so I can start tracking my cycle in anticipation of trying in a few months! I used to be so regular so it’s odd and confusing for me to have no clue what my body is up to!

Thanks and sorry for the barrage of questions 🙂

• Reply sara March 12, 2015 at 10:21 pm

I was wondering how the little dog has adjusted to a little brother, and how you think he’ll do with another little baby? Have you talked about Jackson, could you link the entry if you have? 🙂

• Reply Annette@FitnessPerks March 13, 2015 at 11:58 am

Congratulations!! So exciting!! I’m pregnant with #2 and due in August-so fun! Our two will be 22 months apart, so it will be fun & crazy 🙂

• Reply Amy @ Life to the Full March 19, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Yay for #2 (and your son being a big brother!!!)! Congratulations to you and your family!