On Toilet Training

potty

So at our 15 month visit, the doctor mentioned to me it might be a good time to pick up a little potty seat for little man. I was very much surprised + a little bit confused. At 15 months old, Brooks was still getting the hang of walking – it was crazy to imagine that I should start thinking about toilet training!

But my doctor said that some kids are potty {not sure how I feel about that word} trained at 18 months old, but they can’t be if they don’t have a seat to learn with.

Fair enough.

Luckily, my parents had an amazing seat for us to use. This one is actually MY MOM’S from 60+ years ago! Her and my uncle used it when they were little babes. My dad sanded it down, refinished it and shined it all up for Brooks to use. I’m pretty pumped with how it turned out! Much more civilized than all the ones I’ve seen for sale these days!

loo

So about a month and a half ago, Brooks started letting me know when he was doing certain things. It was so crazy how fast it happened! He says “pee pee” or “poo poo” and most of the time, he’s done just what he says he’s done. I am so surprised by how quickly he has become aware of what he’s doing.

So now we are at the point where we talk about the potty and what happens there. I don’t think Brooks really understands the concept, but he sure enjoys sitting on his little throne!

The truth is – I’m not really interested in doing the whole potty training thing right now. Is that bad? I know that I have less than 2 months of a full nights sleep coming my way {knock on wood!}. And then, with a newborn, it’s all over. I also know that once you start the potty training, the little will be up in the night letting you know when he needs to go, so I figure that’s something we can deal with when we aren’t sleeping anyways!

Right now, I would prefer all of us to get our sleep, while we can.

But I do want to continue the conversation with Brooks and see where that goes. I think he will let me know when he is ready for more. But until then, I’m thinking about getting a book or two for us to read together on the subject – any suggestions?

toilet

So now it’s your turn to share – when did you start the whole training thing? How did you go about it? How did it go? How old was your little one? Any other thoughts, tips or tricked that worked for you?

I’d really appreciate any words of wisdom as I know we will eventually be going down this path, but honestly at almost 32 weeks pregnant, it’s hard to wrap my mind around right now!

**********************

Don’t forget to enter my TOMY Bath Toy Giveaway!

**********************

And for some Summer Style:

Check out what I believe to be the most perfect summer clutch {for under $50}

The scarf is pretty lovely too.

normal

• Reply Katie D. July 16, 2015 at 8:15 am

I just read a really interesting article on constipation and it mentioned early potty training: http://www.parents.com/blogs/toddlers-kids/2015/07/09/health/the-shocking-danger-of-constipation-in-kids/

My babe is just 1 and I was thinking about just sitting her on the potty before bath time, but I haven’t done it yet.

• Reply Karen July 16, 2015 at 8:19 am

I waited until both boys were 2.5. It took a few days and it was done. I would rather wait until they are completely ready and give it a full go, then some here, some there. It’s what worked for us!

• Reply Maggie July 16, 2015 at 8:31 am

I have a 20m old daughter and we’re so not ready. Her cousin was potty-trained just before three (because of camp + she was always talking about it) but she still wears pull-ups for nap and bedtime.

• Reply Krista K July 16, 2015 at 8:36 am

I tried at about 20 months and it was horrible! It requires patience that I did not have at the time (had a 4 month old too). We tried again at 2.5 and it went so much better. Three months later, he is very reliable and I don’t worry about him at all. We still use diapers at naps and bed time though, because I’ve read that lots of kids just can’t physically hold it that long, and I don’t want to get up at night. We started reading potty books at a young age. “Prince of the Potty” is our favorite for telling exactly what the process is.

• Reply Nikki July 16, 2015 at 8:42 am

My son will be 13 months tomorrow. When it comes time, I won’t go by age but how well he can communicate with me that he has to go.

• Reply Brigid July 16, 2015 at 8:48 am

We started at 2.5. He told us he didn’t want to wear diapers anymore. My son turns 3 in October and has been using the potty during the day successfully for a couple months. We do put him in a diaper at bedtime though. He sleeps soundly for 10 hours, and we didn’t want to wake him up just to use the potty. Pediatricians say it can take kids up to 4 or 5 to have the bladder control for all night. In our minds, sleep won out (both for him and for us).

I will say, there is a big difference between having a child put on the potty at regular intervals (which is what I think happens for some younger “potty trained” kids) vs. having him tell you when he needs to go in advance. It’s that latter part that didn’t kick in for us until way after 2. Definitely a good idea to get him used to the idea though!

I’m also due with #2 in September. Good luck! And don’t worry, potty training happens when they’re ready. You have plenty of time!

• Reply Ani July 16, 2015 at 10:27 am

My son is 9 mos. we are certainly not training yet but I did recently buy a potty and it is in his bathroom. He faces it during bath time because of how his kiddie tub is situated. I’m certainly no expert but I am hoping that having it there will make him familiar with it and eventually he will want to know more about it /try it out when he is ready.

• Reply Desiree July 16, 2015 at 11:20 am

This blows my mind. We started my son when he was 3. He caught on quickly, but regressed. Now (at 3 years 2 months), he is 95% pee trained but only 25% poo trained. He pooed on his bedroom floor last night because he was angry… He is still in pull ups during the day because of the poo thing, and wears overnight diapers at night. So, not a very successful story for you.

• Reply Erin July 16, 2015 at 1:15 pm

I also have an 18 month old and am pregnant with baby #2. I don’t plan to introduce a potty until 2.5 to 3 years depending on his readiness. I have also read that it can be more difficult for toddlers to accept a new baby if you are pushing them to give up baby things like a pacifier, potty training, moving to a toddler bed.

• Reply Amie July 16, 2015 at 5:30 pm

I say go for it if he seems ready! I have an 18 month old son and he could care less about the potty. I tried a couple of times before it stuck with my now 4 year old. I wanted to try early before i had #2 and she wasn’t ready. I bet she was about 20 months old at the time. she’s super stubborn though. then we tried again at just over 2 and it stuck! Every kid is different and ready at different times. My advice is to not get discouraged, and follow his lead. I would definitely be showing him and sitting him on the potty even if nothing happens since he’s so interested though! Good luck!

• Reply Hayley G July 16, 2015 at 10:50 pm

I have a boy the same age as Brooks and I started looking into it and came across a ton of current research from pediatric urologists about the dangers of early potty training. I would definitely do some research of your own. From what I gather from other moms waiting till later actually makes it easier and less stressful as well. Ultimately you know your son best and know what will work best for your situation, but definitely inform yourself of what is out there!

• Reply Patty O July 17, 2015 at 6:55 am

Listen to your child and instincts. It’s ok to try if you think he is ready and use diapers at night, no stress though for either of you. Sometimes little boys are harder to train and especially in the poo department, they tend to hold it in, so just use your best judgement and potty training will be successful. There might be some regression with the new baby too in certain areas.