Winter vs. Summer Pregnancies

At 32 weeks pregnant with baby #2, I think I’m ready to share with you the highs and the lows of being pregnant in the winter vs the summer. It’s crazy to think about but I have been pregnant in the dead of winter – Brooks was born with crazy amounts of snow on the ground – and baby #2 has been enjoying the third trimester {while I’ve been melting} in the extreme heat of summer – I think it’s been 98*+ everyday this past week! Ah!

Here’s what I’ve come to love + loathe about being pregnant in the seasons:

Winter Pregnancy

jacket-no-longer-zips

The Good:

• It’s cold
  • Oversized sweaters

The Bad:

• It’s cold.
  • Snow + Ice can be challenging
  • Your winter jacket won’t zip up

Summer Pregnancyavalon bump

The Bad

• It’s freakin’ HOT

The Good

• Unlimited Ice Cream?
  • ….

seasonal pregnancies

I’m not sure if I’m partial to a winter pregnancy because I’m suffering so much with this heat now -> being this pregnant in the prime of summer. Or if it’s the fact that I’m this pregnant, during the hottest months of the year, chasing after a 1.5 year old. I’ve really been feeling it the past few days, I think I have been pushing myself to do too much, but there is so much to do!

Honestly, everything has been harder this pregnancy with another little one in tow – I’m sure that’s the case for anyone, no matter the season. But in comparing the two – I think a summer pregnancy is the hardest of any season. There are less things going on in the winter than the summer, just because there is less going on in the colder months in general {in my opinion} PLUS in the summer, even the ice {and my beloved ice cream!} melts too fast. And with the endless heat, swelling and the fact that it’s just hard to get comfortable, I’d much rather be pregnant in the winter than the summer.

BUT I am excited to have a baby with a September birthday – because I think it’s a great month for lots of outdoor activities. Brooks’ birthday, being in January, is always going to have to be celebrated indoors – unless there is a random heat wave in the dead of winter. No BBQs or park play for him on his special day, unless we move to California or Hawaii or something! Ha!

*****************

Now it’s your turn to share:

What’s your ideal season to be pregnant?

*****************

In OTHER news – the new Stella & Dot Fall collection launches today! It’s all sorts of awesome – be sure to check it out here: http://stelladot.com/lesliebrinkley

11228913_10102335641597467_2632189619219188317_n

• Reply Melissa July 21, 2015 at 7:22 am

I’ve been thinking about this a lot! I’m 13 weeks with #2 and due late January. My bump is much bigger faster this time so I’m working all my maternity clothes already. Between chasing a 3 year old (who is actually pretty understanding about my lack of energy) and this humidity I am really struggling. I also feel like I’m going to need a whole new wardrobe come fall/winter.

My first was born early October so I was super pregnant in summer but also blessed with AC at work and home. Dressing the bump seemed much easier in the summer too!

I think the 2nd pregnancy is just harder because you are using soo much energy!

• Reply Krista K July 21, 2015 at 8:42 am

I have the same situation as Melissa^. My first in early October, second in early Feb. I much preferred my winter pregnancy!!! All my friends seem to agree about that timing, and a few have said March/April is a good time to have a baby, too.

I did enjoy floating in the water with my first belly. Good luck with your last few weeks- stay cool!

• Reply Natalie @ The Ravenous Mommy July 21, 2015 at 9:15 am

I had a winter & now a summer pregnancy too. A pro & con is getting new clothes, haha. I had all sweaters and jeans (which I LOVED!) Now it’s shorts and tank tops…. SO hot.

• Reply Kay @ Goaloflosing July 21, 2015 at 11:31 am

I’m SO glad you wrote this post! Thanks for sharing!!

One upside to summer pregnancy may be wearing dresses? 🙂 I loved wearing dresses while pregnant but also had my daughter in the dead of winter (Jan. 21st, 2015). However, I won’t lie… since I worked in an office and had covered parking from point A to point B — I still wore dresses in the dead of winter. Haha.

Hopefully you have AC in your home? And I agree — I think a September birthday would be so much fun for your 2nd. I’m already trying to figure out what we’ll do for a winter 1st birthday party for our daughter, Piper.

Also — you look absolutely cute while pregnant in all the seasons 🙂

• Reply Regina July 21, 2015 at 3:58 pm

This is my third pregnancy. My first son was born mid august and we had a brutal heat wave that year with May temperatures in the mid 90s. Holy balls of heat. We also had a ton of storms that head that knocked out power out for days at a time, thus no ac. It sucked but I loved being able to go outside with a newborn fairly soon after birth and not worry about crazy germs. Something I didn’t really think about until…baby #2. My second son was born in April and I loved everything about that pregnancy, seasons wise. Celebrating the holidays pregnant helped the pregnancy fly by and being super preggo in the winter was awesome because I wasn’t melting and because my toddler and I weren’t venturing outdoors anyway so I could sit on the couch a lot. But there were also germs everywhere and I got sick a lot. A week before my son was born i contracted the norovirus and ended up in the hospital from the dehydration starting contractions. So that was rough. This time I’m due at the end of January and I’m excited! With 2 toddlers to chase it’s nice to have this time to take them out and let them run wild at a park (when it’s not 100% humidity), I’ll be uber pregnant when it’s cold out and we can snuggle on the couch a lot and my oldest starts preschool in September so I’ll get half my pregnancy tailing around only one kid half the week and my oldest will have the stability of preschool once the new babe arrives and rocks our world all over again 🙂 i also am looking forward to being snowed in shortly after birth so that I won’t feel compelled to overdue it too fast too soon and instead can just snuggle my babies. (Or be run over by 3 restless kids experiencing cabin fever)

• Reply Melissa July 21, 2015 at 9:43 pm

I’ve had four children in the last 5.5 years…two in each season. I’ve decided that I like being pregnant in the summer better than the winter. I liked being able to have my baby in the fall and take the whole winter to recover and get back into shape!

• Reply Patty O July 23, 2015 at 9:04 pm

I’ve had a June and August baby and even though Baby #2 was born in Mid-August and I was dying because of the heat, I prefer having babies in a warmer month because you can go outside immediately and not feel couped up because of cold, snow or ice. You are doing great, keep up the positive attitude and hang in there!