On Going From One to Two {Littles}

So today marks the 4 week mark with little Graham. It’s officially been a month since he made his way into our lives and I can’t believe he’s already a whole month old! Seriously, where does the time go?! I seriously feel like he is already so much bigger than he was even two weeks ago!

wear

It’s been such a different experience going from two to one! When we brought Brooks home from the hospital, it was a serious life change. Obviously, having a kid is a big commitment! But it’s such a big change because you literally go from your time 100% being your own to having your every move revolve around a little one.

Which is awesome and totally what we signed up for, but it’s a big adjustment.

fam4

When we brought Graham home from the hospital 4 weeks ago, it was a big move in that we were adding another member to our family but it wasn’t as big of an adjustment time-wise. I went from having about 10% me time to about 7% – not as big of a jump as when we brought Brooks home and I went from 100% me time to 10%! Ha!

boys

I also think this change from one to two is much different because I know so much more of what to expect in terms of having a newborn baby around. I feel so much more comfortable this second time around and I am more confident in what I need to do and what the little one needs. Especially with nursing – this was a big game changer for me with Brooks but with Graham I am totally in my element and been having no issues {more on that later!}

dos

Also with having #2 we are so much on #1’s schedule that we are forced to bring Graham out and about so much sooner than we did with Brooks. Graham has seen and done so many things in his first four weeks – a wedding, a train ride, the zoo {twice}, and lots of other outings with family around this past month! Brooks was born in the winter so it was easier to hibernate a bit for a while, adjusting to life with a new baby. With it being the Fall and having Brooks needing to be entertained, it’s a whole different ballgame.
LOVE

The labor, delivery and recovery has been so much easier this second time around, but also I’ve been so busy still chasing after my 20 month old and caring for my newborn that I haven’t had time to dwell on me. It’s probably just something that does without saying as a “mom thing” but it’s all about the littles!

two boys
Brooks has been amazing with his little brother. He is sort of obsessed with him – he asks about him, says “Hi Gam” & “Baby Gam” all day long. I want Graham to stay little forever, but I am so excited for the two of them to be able to run around and play together. Brooks is going to have so much fun with little G!
bro

So far everything has been really great, but part of that is because Graham has been really sleepy still {which has been great} and the other part is that I haven’t really been solo, on my own with the two kids. I had my first day all by myself last week and I have two more solo days this week. My mom & mother-in-law have been awesome with helping out, along with Charles who got to stay home a bit in the beginning. So obviously extra hands has a been big help!

family

I’m excited to see what “real life” is like when I am solo with the boys more – and the more awake Graham gets, I know it’s going to be a bit more challenging. But so far, this first month, it’s been all sorts of awesome. I’m excited to see what the future holds for our little family!

brothers

*****************

Now it’s your turn to share:

What was your experience going from one to two kids?

*****************

home alone

• Reply Nicole October 5, 2015 at 8:37 am

Im so glad it’s going so well! Im thinking about #2 more and more lately but honestly couldn’t imagine 2 kids after a rough post partum with #1. I just remember being home for weeks feeling stuck on the couch nursing around the clock. With a crazy 23 month old I can’t imagine it but you give me hope! Can’t wait to meet ‘Gam’!

• Reply Heather C October 5, 2015 at 10:43 am

Your adjustment sounds just like ours!
    Our girls are 18 months apart & I totally agree, the baby-caring aspect is 100% simpler! We’re 4 months into the 2 under 2 arena!
    We are also finding it’s easier to deal with naps this time around even as she gets older because we’re not nearly as particular about it like we were with the oldest – we just know better now 🙂

And I wanted to tell you, as I’m sure others will, it gets better and better! It’s kind of weird, I remember each month in the first year would be so bittersweet with our oldest but I loveee the toddler stage (currently LOL) and find myself just so excited for each month to pass and the baby to get closer to toddler because I know we will never have a dull moment with our two girls!

Enjoy mama – you’ll adjust…and laugh at yourself for thinking you had no time before! 😉

• Reply Gina B October 5, 2015 at 12:20 pm

My experience was traumatic, LOL! My first one was an angel baby, and she was nearly 3 when we had our second. We did a lot of work preparing her and she was so excited. But #2 was an extremely fussy baby thanks to sensory issues – she cried ALL the time, and would never let me go, so my DD#1 was NONE too happy about that. Also, you know age 2-3 is when the real “behaviors” start, AUGH! I’m happy to say we survived those tough years when they vied for attention and they are mostly friends now…although with one entering her teen years, it’s not likely to last 🙂 Glad your boys are getting along – treasure that!

• Reply LaNeshe (Nesheaholic.com) October 5, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Awwww, congrats! I’m still on one, her first birthday is actually Friday! It looks like you have adjusted well.

• Reply Patty O October 5, 2015 at 9:46 pm

You are a terrific and confident mom which shows with your littles! Keep positive when you are solo and you will survive – remember it’s only for a really short time that babies are needy – they grow up so fast – just look at Brooks! So happy to live close to help you and see my grandsons so often! We both are truly blessed!

• Reply Jamie October 6, 2015 at 8:52 am

Though I am planning on one and done it’s nice hearing about how people handle the second baby coming along. When I think about it I get totally stressed out and overwhelmed!

• Reply Natalie October 6, 2015 at 4:45 pm

I hope when we have #2 next month, it goes as well as it has with you! You guys seem like you are having an amazing time 🙂

• Reply Shannon October 14, 2015 at 11:34 am

Hi! I love your blog and read it when I was pregnant with my daughter. She’s currently 13mo and I’m due again with a boy in February. So we’ll have about the same age-gap as your kids, around 17/18mo. My first was colicky and it was difficult, she literally screamed whenever she wasn’t sleeping until 5mo. Needless to say, I’m praying morning, noon and night this little fellow isn’t colicky but if he is, I know it will end….hahahha! Glad to read the transition from 1 to 2 is going well for you!